Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: System Backup
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
hearny
When Backing up to Tape the following error message is returned

"tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device or address
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now"

the tape is not accessible at all the command "tar -cvf /dev/st0 /home" gives the same error

the tape is inserted and not write protected.

Can anybody please help me as it was working last week.
michaelk
Have you modified anything in the last week?
What distribution, version are you running?
What type of tape drive?
What is the output of the following command?
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
hearny
Nothing Modified
SuSe 9
Tape Drive is VXA-1
and the output is:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ICP Model: Host Drive #00 Rev:
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: ICP Model: Host Drive #01 Rev:
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 06 Lun: 00
Vendor: DELL Model: 1x6 U2W SCSI BP Rev: 5.33
Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
Vendor: ECRIX Model: VXA-1 Rev: 2B7B
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: NEC Model: CD-ROM DRIVE:466 Rev: 1.06
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Im fairly new to Linux so ive no idea how to fix it, I can see that the tape device shows up in the output.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Hearny
michaelk
Does this command output the same error?
mt -f /dev/st0 status
hearny
Yes it did
thanks again
michaelk
Grasping at straws but does the CDROM drive still function?
Jim
Do two things. Go into your /dev folder and see if you can see it. And run the command dmesg its a lot of output so you could try to filter it through the grep command for some words like dmesg | grep tape or something like that. But see if it shows up. You might just have to go through line by line and look dmesg | less. But make sure that your computer sees it period, if not, if might be an issue of a loose connection, or worse, something might be physically wrong with the drive. But if the computer sees it than we know where to start.

Quick lesson for a newbie: The pipe | as its called routes one function to another. So a function like dmesg which has a lot of output can be routed to a fuction like grep, which is a search command, wit the pipe. Grep will filter it for a specific string. You can even pipe togeather multiple command dmesg | grep tape | less
hearny
No It isnt, it just gets worse
Jim
Wow, your quick, so you want to do some live tech support here? Ok, lets see. You don't have another OS on the system right?

Give me a little info here. You had to working, you could back it up, run all the commands and all that, than it just stopped working? Or was it never working? What is the X factor, any ideas?
michaelk
The probability of both devices going bad are slim. Verify the cables and terminator are still secure. In addition to looking at dmesg, look at /var/log/messages. There could be some errors relating to the SCSI controller.

Also Look at the output of lsmod. Are all of the SCSI modules still loaded?
hearny
The no was meant for michaelk sorry
When i ran the dmesg command nothing about tape or SCSI was found,
backups worked last week, nothing has been changed, at least not by me but it wont work now
If you can help I really appreciate it
Jim
So you went through the whole dmesg list or did you just grep for tape and SCSI? and what about /dev/st0?

If you want, just post the whole dmesg out put, I will filter through it, its not really that long, its just long.
hearny
I checked for both of them and SCSI but nothing out of the ordinary
hearny
according to lsmod the modules are still loaded,
the messages file was very big couldnt see any related errors though
Jim
Ya, just do me a favor and post it, or can you not just cut and paste it over, because if you can't, than thats understandable. Umm, ok.

Have you tried a different tape? Maybe the tape is bad.
hearny
Tried different tape already no joy
Jim
That was not the output from dmesg that I was expecting at all, I have never seen it look like that. What kind of system are you running? Usually its all the hardware information not network stuff. Humm, thats odd.

Did you say the device is or isn't in the /dev folder? I am going to go look some stuff up. It might take me a min to get a response up.
hearny
it is in the dev folder yes
hearny
I can access the cdrom sorry
Jim
What kind of system?

What happens when you put in cat /dev/st0 with a tape in the drive.
Jim
What give me the full specs on your system. What kind of computer is it, most importantly mother board, and what kind of tape drive is it. And what linux your running kernel and distro.
michaelk
Since both the CDROM and the tape drives are not working it must be something in common.
My first guess is a hardware problem. It could be the SCSI cable is loose or somehow broken or the SCSI controller went bad.

It looks like everything is still ok on the software side.
Jim
O beep, I missed that the CD-ROM drive isn't working. But is the CD-ROM on the SCSI or IDE?
hearny
i get
"cat: /dev/st0: No such device or address"
Jim
What about the rest of my questions.
michaelk
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
Vendor: ECRIX Model: VXA-1 Rev: 2B7B
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: NEC Model: CD-ROM DRIVE:466 Rev: 1.06
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

It is a SCSI CDROM drive

What is the SCSI1 controller make / model?
michaelk
Grasping a straws again... have you rebooted the PC? Maybe reseting the SCSI controller will fix the problem.
hearny
Its a server I had to wait untill 5 o' clock to start it
The CDrom is not a problem its just the tape now
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.