Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have A Interesting Thought About A Program
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
GiZiM
Well i was thinking today while watching TV it started to storm pretty good power almost went out. We know linux hates when you dont shut down correctly. I was thinking lets say we are away some place and it starts to storm like a mofo it would be nice if a program was always running that would check the weather in the area. Once the weather gets bad (User definable) linux would auto shutdown. Lets say if the weather was Thunder Storm and winds of 15mph it would shut down by its self.
michaelk
How about an UPS ( I prefer APC). Its conects via USB or the serial port and can shutdown the PC in case of a power interruption. Do you get frequent power outages where you live? Where I live a 15 MPH wind is a light breeze smile.gif.

For services that put out a warning signal like the National Weather Service you could possibly tie in a signal to the computer to shutdown whenever there is an alert.
GiZiM
QUOTE (michaelk @ Aug 24 2004, 03:16 PM)
How about an UPS ( I prefer APC). Its conects via USB or the serial port and can shutdown the PC in case of a power interruption. Do you get frequent power outages where you live? Where I live a 15 MPH wind is a light breeze smile.gif.

For services that put out a warning signal like the National Weather Service you could possibly tie in a signal to the computer to shutdown whenever there is an alert.

Yeah we could use a UPS but still it would be kinda cool to have.
No we dont in Nashville just thinking it
Jim
It would definitely be possible to write a bash script, but the problem you would have with that is that it would either a) have to constantly be running or B) be running on a regular time schedual.

One of the simple ways to do it would be to just shut it down remotely via SSH.

Putty, which is a free windows ssh client is just a exe file, wouldn't need to be installed. I have it on my pen drive and I can just run it off there. Plug it into any body's computer, and i can log onto my box and my mac from anywhere. Of course you need to know your ip address or have a domain name, and have access to a computer. But that might be an easier way to do it.

The best way though, is to just have a UPS because that not only alows your computer time to shutdown right, but protects if from a surge that usually comes when the power goes out.
GiZiM
QUOTE (Jim @ Aug 25 2004, 11:30 AM)
It would definitely be possible to write a bash script, but the problem you would have with that is that it would either a) have to constantly be running or cool.gif be running on a regular time schedual.

One of the simple ways to do it would be to just shut it down remotely via SSH.

Putty, which is a free windows ssh client is just a exe file, wouldn't need to be installed. I have it on my pen drive and I can just run it off there. Plug it into any body's computer, and i can log onto my box and my mac from anywhere. Of course you need to know your ip address or have a domain name, and have access to a computer. But that might be an easier way to do it.

The best way though, is to just have a UPS because that not only alows your computer time to shutdown right, but protects if from a surge that usually comes when the power goes out.

Have contab running would work but what if you couldnt get to it remotely.. yes UPS would work but wasnt a bad idea
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.