Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geting My Internet 2 Work
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Teddy100
ok im a linux newbie i just started trying to use it and im having a problem geting the internet working. I think it is due to the fact that im using the wrong driver for my network card. I use Mandrake 10.0 i dual boot with WinXP pro using Lilo. I use a onboard SiS 962L integrated 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet with Realtek PHY, and a D-Link Di-604 Router, a 3-COM modem, and if it means anything a Asus P4S533-VM Mobo. Like i said im a newbie at linux so tell me anything that u think might get the internet workin on lixux. BTW Internet works on Windows but not on Linux. If there is nethign else u will need to know bout what i use plxz tell me.
Robert83
Hi,

open up a terminal or a console and type
CODE
ifconfig

tell me what does it show?

Sincerely
Robert B
Teddy100
Hmmm is ther a way to take a screen shot frim linux and take to windows? if not ill post what it says tommorow when i get my digital camra back.
BTW they ip on it says 127.0.0.0 what isn't right i know that 4 sure cause it aint what my router should giv out. Another thing that makes be question if it is the driver is when i boot linux when it says load eth0 it always fails.
Robert83
Hi,

that means that the ethernet card is not detected by linux, but you are lucky since asus provides linux driver for the ethernet card on this motherboard.

just go here http://www.asus.com/support/download/selec...16e.zip~zaqwedc

and download it, and then follow the instructions

Sincerely
Robert B
Teddy100
Ok i swiched over from Mandrake 10 to Redhat 9 and i cant get it to work and this is the message i get when i try to acivate it. BTW i changed my ethernet card to a Reltek 1839D i think it is and i get this message when i try to activate it.

Determining IP information for eth0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resorse busy SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resorse busy failed.

So if that mean ne thing to you can u plz help me thx.
michaelk
Have you tried configuring the ethernet device with static IP address. Login as root:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Change eth0 and 192.168.0.2 to match your network. You should be able to ping your router.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.