Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Samba Security
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ramoth
I'm having a nightmare - everytime I try to set the Samba Services Server to user for security it keeps defaulting back to share. I've been in and edited the smb.conf file under global to security = user but it defaults back to share within 40 seconds- furthermore the smb.conf file changes back too and the line i've added is no longer there. Please help users are giving me a hard time! sad.gif
Robert83
Hi,

you could check if there is a cron job running every 40 mins and changing things back to default.
crontab -l
or maybe you have tripwire or something like that installed ?

Sincerely
Robert B
ramoth
No tripwire installed that I'm aware of. However we have had a lot of problems with making sure that all files remain read, write and execute. I'm wondering if there is a recursive command to ensure that they stay this way that is running in the background. smile.gif
Robert83
Hi,

if there is something checking things in the background I suppose that it is a good thing to search trough the log files in /var/log/ and search for the string smb.conf in each log file, maybe you can find out what is changing it, and then you'll be able to do something about it.

Sincerely
Robert B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.