Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nvidia Driver Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Darcwolf
I am trying to install mandrake 9.2 and it does not recognize my video card, Nvidia GForce FX 5500,
once I install and start up mandrake or during configuration when I try to test my configuration I just get a black screen, can someone tell me how to fix this, Im a linux newbie, so please be patient, thanks.
hughesjr
What is the Motherboard manufacturer/model number (or if it is a brand name PC, like Dell, HP, etc., what is the PC model number).

Specifically, is it an Nforce2 motherboard?

You caninitially try selecting vesa (generic) as the video card and later install the NVIDIA drivers from the website:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

(pick the latest IA32 driver for intel pentium and AMD athlon processors unless they are specifically 64-bit)
Darcwolf
I fail to see what my motherboard has to do with anything, it runs fine with other video cards, but it is a soyo dragon plus 2. I've tried running generic configurations and I still cant get a picture, only in setup.
Jim
nv is the generic nvidia driver that comes with most distros, but as soon as possible upgrade to the nvidia driver.

Your best bet is to do a text based install and than install the driver from the command line. If you need help with that, let me know, and I will walk you through it.
Termina
QUOTE (Darcwolf @ Aug 19 2004, 12:03 PM)
I fail to see what my motherboard has to do with anything, it runs fine with other video cards, but it is a soyo dragon plus 2. I've tried running generic configurations and I still cant get a picture, only in setup.

You did not give that information before, the problem might have been with your AGP driver (agpgart). Common with nforce chipsets, with the 2.4.x kernel. And I'm sure others. xD The less info you give, the more vauge the answers will be... wink.gif

Anyhoo...

Install the nvidia driver package from nvidia.com

Change your XF86Config (or whatever else it may be for you) driver from "nv" to "nvidia"

Also make sure your monitors horizontal/verticle rates to their correct values. You can probally google for them, with your monitors model number.

Otherwise, you should be good to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.