Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Booting From C:
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jbenson
I am not the most adept person at technical computer issues, hence my current inquiry. I have an old Dell Latitude in which I just installed a 40 gig hard drive after the old one completely died. I am stuck at the C: prompt. I want to install a linux based operating system, hopefully free. I used to have Win 98 on the computer, but I am looking for something better. Any suggestions on how to go about with the installation. Is it possible? If so how? Thank you for anyone's assistance.
Jeff
michaelk
Post the hardware specifications for your computer. The latest versions of most distros require at least 128MB to run an sort of GUI but the more the better. The easiest linux distributions use a CDs as the install media. If your motherboard BIOS can not boot from CDROM then a floppy disk drive comes in handy. Mandrake is probably the easiest to install and will partition the drive automatically.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.