Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Boot...
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
erilath9
Okay. I know how to partition it. i think.

40 gig HD
-10 gig windows
-10 gig linux (fedora)
-leftover (about 20 gig) fat32

okay... I install windows on the 10 gig first, and leave 30 gig left.
Then i run linux, and using diskdruid, format it into its 10 gig linux, and leftover fat32. yeah.

..... would it mess up windows if i installed grub to the primary boot thingy? (I forgot the real term. >.<) or do i need to make a partition for it, and...... do something.

thanks for reading! hope someone replies.
Jim
Install Grub to the master boot record, than you need to create a entry in grub to boot windows. Looks like this

CODE
title=Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Rmemeber in grub 0 is 1 so the first partition is 0 the first drive is 0 that sort of thing.

You might be a little scrunched with 10 gigs for each os, espeically windows, its really big. I don't know what kind of stuff you plan on storing in on your fat drive but you might think about giving a little more of that back to windows, your linux drive should be fine.
Dpaladin
QUOTE (erilath9 @ Aug 14 2004, 12:49 PM)
Okay. I know how to partition it. i think.

40 gig HD
-10 gig windows
-10 gig linux (fedora)
-leftover (about 20 gig) fat32

okay... I install windows on the 10 gig first, and leave 30 gig left.
Then i run linux, and using diskdruid, format it into its 10 gig linux, and leftover fat32. yeah.

..... would it mess up windows if i installed grub to the primary boot thingy? (I forgot the real term. >.<) or do i need to make a partition for it, and...... do something.

thanks for reading! hope someone replies.

You mean the MBR? No, it won't.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see Jim's post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.