Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bootloader Error
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Dpaladin
I tried to do this on my own (first install), but I've finally screwed it up enough to call on help from above. Anyway, GRUB gives me this message when I try to boot into Gentoo:

Booting 'Gentoo Linux 2.4.25'

root (hd0,3)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.4.25-gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda2 vga=791

Error 15: File not found.

I think this is caused by an error in my grub.conf file, but I can't figure out what it is. Can someone help me out (I saw something like this in the FAQ, but it didn't help me. Sorry)?
Jim
Well its probably quite simple, the file name in your grub file doesn't match the existing file.

Boot up your live CD of choice, mount your boot partition, and make sure your kernel image is there. Its probably as simple as that. Your grub.conf file is right there to, edit it to match and reboot, it should work. Remember, all path names are relative to your boot partition, if you made one.
Dpaladin
Now when I try to shutdown, I get

init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory

huh.gif

EDIT: Wow, I'm stupid. Okay, got it.
Dpaladin
QUOTE (Dpaladin @ Aug 13 2004, 04:16 PM)
Now when I try to shutdown, I get

init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory

huh.gif

EDIT: Wow, I'm stupid. Okay, got it.

Okay, I got rid of that one easily, but I'm still getting the other error message, even after I thought I'd fixed it.

Booting 'Gentoo Linux 2.4.25'

root (hd0,3)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.4.25-gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda2 vga=791

Error 15: File not found.

(hd0,3) is supposed to be my boot partition (as identified by GRUB), right? And the real_root is my actual root partition (path).

Sorry about the consecutive post, but I'd really like help with this. This is my third day trying to install Gentoo. mellow.gif

EDIT: Problem solved. I did a /fdisk mbr and installed LILO instead. biggrin.gif
Hemant
(hd0,3) will be your root partition not boot partition.....
Jim
ya, your root (hd0,3) is the root for boot loader, sorry I didn't catch that the first time, if you followed the standard gentoo instructions your boot partition with be hd0,0.

I know you got Lilo running, but honestly man, go back and change over to Grub, you will be much happier, you will probably also never read this post.
Dpaladin
QUOTE (Jim @ Aug 14 2004, 03:52 PM)
ya, your root (hd0,3) is the root for boot loader, sorry I didn't catch that the first time, if you followed the standard gentoo instructions your boot partition with be hd0,0.

I know you got Lilo running, but honestly man, go back and change over to Grub, you will be much happier, you will probably also never read this post.

I couldn't follow the handbook's instructions because I was already running Windows when I partitioned my drive. My setup is like this:

hda1 -- Win98
hda2 -- Linux root
hda3 -- Linux Swap
hda4 -- 'nix boot

I was going to just use Boot Magic 8, but it wouldn't work.

Honestly, I know GRUB has some more features, but all I need is a timer and a prompt. Maybe you can help me with the new problem I have, which is probably simple in nature.

=====

I got Gentoo installed, but I don't have anything. I can ping anyone I like (google, etc), but I can't emerge. Whenever I try to get files from an FTP server, I never connect (and I get 404s for a lot of HTTPs). So I can't get Mozilla, KDE, or any of the stuff that makes Linux useful to me.
ChaosCaptain
I kept getting Error 15 File Not Found error, and I triple checked the filename, kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-rc6 that was in my grub.conf exactly:

root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda4
initrd /initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r6

It just didn't work... so, I renamed kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r6 to kernel-2.4.26 and initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r6 to initrd-2.4.26, then changed my grub to:

root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.4.26 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda4
initrd /initrd-2.4.26

and it worked. Don't worry about the (hd0,1), I have XP loaded at (hd0, 0), I purposely used hd0,1.

The moral of the story: something is wrong with Grub being able to read the long filename. Change to a shorter filename and it worked just fine. Huh. Anybody else have this problem?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.