Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Booting Linux And Windows
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
moo113
Recently I received the Linux Technical Resource Kit from Novell because I had a keen interest in Linux. I was wondering if I could run both Windows XP Home and SuSE 9.1 Pro on one system.By the end of the month I will be ordering a new PC from Dell that has Windows XP Home Pre-installed.

I've never used Linux before and I'd prefer if I had Windows as well as Linux so I have something to fall back on if I get lost. What I want to know is if dual booting the OS's is even possible. If so what will I need?

If you know of any guides that could help me, please post them.

Thanks
lesio1974
i guess you posted in two sections of the forum; check your other post;

but also check out he GUides section. Jim posted a nice HOWTO about partitioning the drive for Linux;

Check this out

g
Jim
That doesn't really answer your question though. The key is yes. Yes you can.

So here are a few things to think about.

I personally recomend having separate drives for linux and windows, but you don't have to.

So distros, like Mandrake, have tools for re-sizeing NTFS partitions to make room for your linux distro. Otherwise things like Partition Magic will do it.

All linux distros include either Grub or Lilo, both of wich are boot managers. That is how you boot a linux distro, but it is also how you dual boot a windows/linux machine.

Make sure you install your boot loader to the MBR of your master hard-drive. Other wise it wont get booted to.

Other than that, my guide on partitioning a linux drive will be handing it setting up your linux drive, but it doesn't really adress dual boot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.