Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mouse Doesn't Work In Debian
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frodo44
Hey, if you've been following my 2.6 Kernel posts (about the root not mounting), you'll know that I just installed Debian 3.0r2 a couple days ago. I finally got the 2.6 Kernel running, and I'm finally into X (long story), and now I can't use the mouse. I've tried a couple of things.
1. I've tried doing cat /dev/psaux, which succeeded (I got a bunch of garbledigook output)
2. I tried installing gpm (which I guess wasn't installed to begin with, because apt-get didn't freak out or anything)

I've googled this problem, and I've found a couple of similar posts, but no answers. Any idea why this is happening (obviously something is set up wrong, but I'm not sure what). BTW, I'm sure that I'm using the correct driver (The IMPS/2 driver for a logitech wheel mouse).

Thanks,
Eric
Jim
What does your device section of your XF86Config file look like? I am sorry to ask, you probably already checked it, but I just want to see.
frodo44
No problem... I was going to post it, but I didn't want to boot back into linux at the time. I'll repost when I get it (have to reboot... Argh!)

Eric
frodo44
All right, here it is:

CODE
Section     "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Configured Mouse"
 Driver     "mouse"
 Option    "CorePointer"
 Option    "Device"   "/dev/psaux"
 Option    "Protocol"   "ImPS/2"
 Option    "Emulate3Buttons"   "true"
 Option    "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
EndSection

Section     "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Generic Mouse"
 Driver     "mouse"
 Option    "SendCoreEvents"
 Option    "Device"   "/dev/input/mice"
 Option    "Protocol"   "ImPS/2"
 Option    "Emulate3Buttons"   "true"
 Option    "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
 InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
#InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

For some reason, the configuration set up two mice, but I just commented out the one that I don't need.
hughesjr
I had a problem with the 2.6 kernel and debian detecting my mouse on a pIII-800 machine ... I had to run the command:

mdetect

prior to entering X ... (or loading gpm).

If you can, boot to console mode, run mdetect, then startx and see if the mouse works.

(if you have xdm loading on bootup, you can use the command:

rm /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm

then reboot to get into console mode).
frodo44
Nope, didn't work...
mdetect returned this:

/dev/psaux
intellimouse

But it didn't make any difference when I logged into X. I checked a couple other things.
1) As far as I can tell my kernel is configured to support mice (my 2.6.7 one)
2) Doing cat /dev/psaux doesn't seem to do anything anymore ... I might have been trying to do it under my 2.4 kernel before... stupid mistake.

Thanks,
Eric

[edit]
As an afterthough, it might be something to mention that I had to install mdetect. Could this mean, perhaps, that there might be other programs I don't have installed that I need (Remember, I already had to install gpm, also...)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.