Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Needs Vi Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
The Governor
I am trying to add an email user to a Linux box. I added the user, and it created a user I call Adam. I then apparently have to go to local-host-names to link the user to an email address I want on the system. When I open local-host-names with vi, I get Found a swap file by the name ".local-host-names.swp" I try the :recover, but it does nothing. I do not see a file called local-host-names.swp. I therefore cannot seem to create an email account for this user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Governor
Sorry, forgot to add system info.

Distro Name Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
Processors 1
Model AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+
Chip MHz 2010.10 MHz
Cache Size 256 KB
System Bogomips 4010.8
PCI Devices 00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller
00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 7205

IDE Devices hda: Maxtor 6Y160L0 (Capacity: 152.67 GB)

USB Devices Linux 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ehci_hcd VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 00:10.3
USB UHCI Root Hub d800
USB UHCI Root Hub d400
USB UHCI Root Hub d000
The Governor
I tried make stop, and then edit the file to no avail.
hughesjr
that means that someone had that file open in vi before and closed the window without exiting the file.

The name of the file is .local-host-names.swp ... so issue the command (from the directory that contains the file):

rm -rf .local-host-names.swp

(NOT rm -rf local-host-names.swp, do not forget the leading dot . )
The Governor
Thanks. That took care of that problem. I did not find the mail user list in that file however, I found it in virtusertable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.