Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Partition Access
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
richard4212
I have Suse 9.1 installed on my computer on an IDE drive and Windows XP on a SATA drive.

When using Suse 9.1 I can access and read the Windows drive but I cannot write to it. I would appreciate finding out how to do it.

I have tried changing the permissions when logged in as root but get the message that the permissions can't be changed. I suspect that I need to change something in fstab but I don't know what to do there.

Richard
michaelk
I assume that your windows drive is formatted as NTFS. I would say that just about all default kernels have write support disabled. Below is a link to the captive driver for full NTFS read / write support. I have never used captive so I do not know how well it works. IMHO the safest method to share data between the two OS's would be to create a FAT32 partition.

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
hughesjr
I also don't know how well captive works. I have not used it, but I will setup a machine and test it in the near future.

I agree with michaelk that the safest way to do this is to make a FAT32 partition and put items you want to read on both systems there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.