Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.6 Kernel Not Finding Root
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frodo44
Hi, I just tried running my Debian 3.0r2 system with the 2.6.7 Kernel, but when I booted up, I got an error saying that it can't find the root disk. Any reason why this might happen? Might it have to do with the System.map file that the kernel generates (right now I have lilo set to boot the old one, just because I'm still running primarily off my stock 2.4.18 kernel). It also gives me some wierd number set, like (3,65) or something (I'm assuming that's a way to write which partition its trying to read). By the way, my root partition is /dev/hdb1. Anyway, if you need more info, post back. Thanks,
Eric
hughesjr
Lots of things need to change to run the 2.6.7 kernel ... how did you install the kernel?

If you use dselect (or apt-get) to install a debain kernel, it should boot.

Are you using Lilo or Grub?

I personally like the new Sarge installer, which fairly easy to install with. I just used it a couple hours ago to put a 2.6.7 kernel on my p-II 366 laptop.
frodo44
I just downloaded the kernel source, compiled it, installed module-init-tools, and then tried rebooting. I guess I'm missing some steps in there? I'm pretty new to debian, so I guess I'll try out that sarge installer. BTW, I'm using Lilo (whatever version comes standard), but I tried grub, and it didn't work either. Thanks,

Eric
frodo44
I finally got the problem resolved. I figured out, after several recompiles of the kernel, that I had set both the EXT3 drivers and my chipset drivers to modules, which won't work for mounting root because the modules aren't loaded yet. Phew! Glad that's over with. Now to fix my mouse, but that's another post.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.