Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Can't Update.
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
foggy
Hi All,

I bought Red Hat Enterprise (8) some time ago and did not get on weel with it and decided to remove it.

I have now decided to have another go at changing from Windows to Linux and have re-installed it today.

However I can see from the little Red Icon on the right hand side that I have 175 updates.

When I click on the launch up2date it tells me "This system may not be updated untill it is associated with a channel.

Can any one help.

Best wishes.

James.
hughesjr
There isn't a RedHat Enterprise 8 ... there is a RedHat Enterprise 2.1, a RedHat Enterprise 3, and a RedHat Linux 8.

Which do you have?

(What does it say in the file /etc/redhat-release).
foggy
Hi,

Thanks for the response:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon)

Best wishes.

James.
hughesjr
In order to get updates for that product, you have to have a paid subscription from RedHat on the Red Hat Network (for each install of RHEL). The subscriptions must be updated annually. You can't do updates without a subscription. (You can't have access to that channel).

If you have a subscription (or haven't yet enabled your subscription), login to RHN and enable the new machine to be able to recieve updates.

If you don't have a RHEL subscription, you can use one of the free RHEL alternatives (like CentOS, WhiteBox Enterprise Linux, TaoLinux) for this box. Those distros are the RHEL 3 source RPMS (released by RedHat), rebuilt by the maintainers of the specific distro. I personally recommend CentOS ... as the updates are usually a little faster.

So, if you have a RHEL subscription available for that machine, you need to enable it ... If you need RedHat support and you don't have a subscription, you need to obtain one from RedHat ... or you need to use one of the free alternatives and see if it will meet your needs.
foggy
Many Thanks Johnny,

Appreciate your help.

James.
DIKKY2K
Spam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.