Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X Wont Startup
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frodo44
Hi,

I just got finished installing Debian 3.0 (woody) on my system, and I'm having a problem getting X to start up. The error that it spits back to me is that it can't start up because it doesn't have a screen. Earlier in the ouput it said that the screen was not configured correctly, so I opened up my XF86Config to have a looksee, but I can't see that anything's wrong. Maybe someone else can help me out:

CODE
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Generic Video Card"
    Driver  "vesa"
    Option  "UseFBDev"  "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
    HorizSync    30-70
    VertRefresh    50-120
    Option  "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device  "Generic Video Card"
    Monitor  "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
 Depth  1
 Modes  "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
 Depth  4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
 Depth  8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
 Depth  15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
 Depth  16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
 Depth  24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

There is a bit more to the file, but its mostly the modules and files lists, and the mouse and keyboard setup. Hope this is enough info, if not I'll post more. Thanks
Eric
Jim
Your signature says its a geforce card. If this is the same computer, try using nv for the driver. If its isn't the same computer, what kind of video card do you have in it?
frodo44
Okay, I'll try that. I'm not sure if the nvidia driver comes in the distro, but now that I think about it, the nv driver does sound kind of familiar. I'll try that out. I just picked the vesa driver because I'm pretty sure that that is what slackware was using. I'll get back to you on how it works out. Thanks,
Eric
Jim
the nvidia driver doesn't, the nv driver usually does. The difference being the nvidia driver is the one NVIDIA actually puts out, and the nv is just the generic. If it is a geforce card, it probably isn't a bad idea to go ahead and install the nvidia module even if the nv works, and if the nv doesn't work, than go ahead and install the nvidia module. Let me pull of the how to on that and I will post it for you.
Jim
Actually, its prett easy now. Just go to this link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-6111.html

and follow along. Just make sure you're not running the X server when you do the install. You can just type init 3 as root to get out to the shell. Than startx to get back in, and when you reboot, everything should be back to normal.
hughesjr
You might also not wnat to use this option:

Option "UseFBDev" "true"

Just put a # in front of it like this:

#Option "UseFBDev" "true"

That is using the FrameBuffer device ... which will slow down performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.