Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New And Stuck
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
snapdragon
Hi, I am new to Linux and I wondered if anyone here had time to answer some questions. I am using Mandrake Powerpack 10.0 but there wasn't any documentation provided with my install disc.

I installed a Linux game called Docking Station and I want to put some .agent files into its directory. I found the directory by going up from the 'home' on the desktop, but I can't seem to be able to copy files into any of the directories above the 'home' one -- I get an 'access denied' message. I tried opening a command window and dragging the files into that, but that doesn't work either. I am using the minumum security setting and my account was set up as the administrator. Sorry if I'm being obtuse and the solution is really obvious. :-)

The other question I would like to ask is how to connect to the internet using Linux. This is something I know very little about on Windows as the connection I had before was an insert-a-disc and go type. Can I get a Freeserve connection like I had before, or am I limited to the Linux ISP? If so, does anyone know the costs of it.

Thanks,

-Manda.
lesio1974
i am not an expert, so this will not be a detailed answer, at least when it comes to the first part of your post;

In Linux different users will have different level of access to the files and directories. You have to have a "permission" to do anything to a file or directory; if you get "access denied" when you try to open/delete/copy a file or to save a file in a directory, that means you do not have permission to write to that directory; sorry, I am not that skilled to tell you how to do it, but I bet that someone more knowledgable will pitch in and post the instructions for you;

you should be able to use any ISP with any OS; some ISPs will not provide techical support to non-Windows users but rules for dialing in and establishing a connection are OS-independent; some ISP may provide "connection managers" for Windows users in order to automate the process and make it easier for the user, but it does not mean that ISP will refuse a connection from a Linux machine; you will have to configure some settings by hand but it is not that hard (i used ATT in Windows, now i connect to Internet from Linux only) and we can always help you out with getting this done;

one word of caution: if your PC has a winmodem (a.k.a "soft-modem"), then things get ugly;

hope you find this helpful

g
Jim
Ok, so here you go, I am going to teach you a very powerful and dangerous command that you can't live with out. su or super user. It gives you complete access to edit and move all filed on the system.

Now, like a said, its dangerous, but you have to use it. Linux, unlike windows, allows the end user direct access to all of the system files. This is what makes linux so powerful, to ensure that you don't accidentally change one of those files, they are write protected even from the administrator. Just type in su at a command console and than your root user password, and you can do anything. I advise you to get it, get it done, and than exit so that you don't screw anything up. As long as your careful and pay attention your fine, and in time you will find that you are very comfortable going in as super user and editing config files to get the most out of your system.

su is the command line option, if you want to use the graphical file managers you will have to either log out and log in as root (ill advised) or launch the graphical file browser from a command line that you have already gained su privilege with. The privileges will transfer to the program you launch.

As for internet connection there is no such thing as a OS specific ISP like lesio said, they just may only offer support for windows or mac. If you want help connecting just ask for it and give us a little more info.

Hope that answers your questions, and lesio, you are giving out great advice, and I think you gave a pretty detailed answer, good work.
hughesjr
BUT ... you can't drag files into a terminal window from a file browser (although, that would be a cool feature).

You can copy files from any directory to any other directory as root.

When you get finished, you might need to change the owner and permissions of the files you moved in.

If you are going to use linux, you need to become familiar with the terminal and typing at the command line. Let me recommend a couple good places to look for instructions:

1. Linuxhelp newbie page:
http://www.linuxhelp.ca/newbies/

2. Introduction to Linux:
http://ldp.hughesjr.com/LDP/intro-linux/ht...html/index.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.