Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help For First Time User
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jubin
hi,
I have an win98 OS on my system, and I recently installed Redhat 8.0 on my system. I created a partition of 3GB using fdisk and then used the diskdruid which comes along with Redhat 8.0 to created the linux file system EXT2. After logging in I found I couldn't access the other partitions,which I could with Win98. So after a lot of searching and help from friends I finally was able to mount my other partitions. I added the following lines...

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win98c vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win98d vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/win98e vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb7 /mnt/win98f vfat defaults 0 0
in etc/fstab file

and then saved it.
I was able to acess my other partitions from /mnt.

I can save data in these partitions as an administrator but not as a user. Can anybody help me here?????
huh.gif
Corey
It's kind of hard to explain it here exactly what you need to do, your best bet is to type "man mount" and go down till you see the options for "vfat", you should be looking for "gid" and "uid". They would go next to your "defaults" in your fstab.
Hemant
using ,chown -R dir username
should work just fine.but i haven't tried.
michaelk
Make sure you have write permissions on the directories with the FAT32 filesystems unmounted.

This following will allow any user to read/write.

Change your /etc/fstab entries

/dev/hdxx /mnt/<mountpoint> vfat user,umask=000 0 0
Hemant
uhhh.. yes chown will not work here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.