Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless Router Questions
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Termina
1) What wireless router would you reccommend? I've heard horror stories about some (common issues are always being disconnected, thus xfering large files across network is a problem).

2) Are access points repeaters? If so, how many is too much? (I'd like to cover an entire building that is 3 stories tall, walls are concrete and are 6 inches thick, floors are concrete might be thicker.)

3) What kind of range can I expect in the said environment? (with just the router? with repeaters spread out evenly?)

4) I'm aware that wireless connections are insecure, but HOW insecure are they? What kind of issues might come up in regards to securty? What security measures can be taken to keep the network as secure as possible?

5) I've seen some things on newegg that supposedly extend the range of your wireless router (they're antennas, I belive). Does anyone know how reliable/well these work? Do these work on access points as well? (or whatever kind of repeater I can get). Are they worth it?

Thanks for any help you can give me! biggrin.gif
hughesjr
I have a wireless linksys router (WAP55AG and WPC55AG). I works fairly well inside my house on the first floor ... and in all but one room on the second floor. It doesn't reach to the street or any of my neighbors houses (I went around my property line to make sure I wasn't bleeding out info).

I have not used this product with Linux. The laptop in question is a WinXP machine that belongs to my company and I use it for travel.

I don't know any way to increase the performance of these types of small routers, other than getting larger gain antennas. I haven't used any of the add on antennas on the smaller routers, but a larger gain antenna can greatly increase signal strength (at least on the point to point bridges I used to use).

You can buy better wireless products that are point to point if you need connectivity between buildings.
------------------
They are not THAT insecure ... if you use a good (hard to guess) essid ... and if you use the router to restrict which cards (by MAC address) that can connect. This prevents your neighbor from stealling your bandwidth and being behind your router.

You can also encrypt the traffic between the laptop and the router ... although this slows down the traffic and can be easily broken, so I don't do it at home. I did do it at work when we were using point to point wireless between buildings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.