Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New - But Unafraid
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
machiner
Hi everyone --

I'm pretty new to linux, and of course this is my first post here. I usually like to read readme's because if I don't do it myself how am I gonna learn? Right.

But I tweak and try things constantly - and of course even reading manuals and readme's looses lots of appeal when I need quick answers, or, as is sometimes the case -- the readme expects me to be far more saavy than I am.

Today I have a problem. My own fault, but I need advice.

I installed apache 1.3.31 on my box from source. I also installed MySql. Upon downloading and attempting to install php I realized there was a string I forgot to include for setting apache up to work with php. I should've done:
./configure ...blah blah blah ---but I didn't.

So now I cannot install php. SO -- SHould I just install the mandrake rpm for apache 2 along with the php module? THat would be an easy fix that I don't really want to do.

I could also re-install apache 1.3.31, ey?

Also, the install went well for mysql -- I installed webmin and I used that to set up apache (minimally) and check the mysql server.... but afterwards I tried to install krecipe, which needs mysql (or similar database). During the config part I was informed that it could not find mysql. THis is a problem. In windows setting an app in the system path was easy -- is that what I need to do here? I need to let my proggys know that MySql is really installed.

So, how do I do that?

I have been running mandrake 10 for about 3 weeks now -- this last install is the one I will keep. All the other installs were for breaking and fixing (and some lame frustrating attempts) but this one I will keep. I don't want to back it up just yet (can I really use webmin for that?)

A caveat: I added and compiled a new kernel. That was cool! I'm pretty comfortable with the command line and even fixed some issues with x and kde! BUt alas, I AM still quite the noob and undoubtedly will ultimately ask some noob questions.

Like -- must I do make uninstall in order to uninstall proggys I compile myself? In order to uninstall it.

With that I will end this first post. I thank you for your assistance and hope to offer my own in short time.

machiner
hughesjr
If you want to install Apache, MySQL and PHP from scratch, check out this thread:

http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?a...3022#entry10393

It is on debian ... but most eveything is extremely similar.
machiner
Thanks for the tip

machiner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.