Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cdrecord Scanbus
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Enemyforce
After an upgrade from Mandrake Linux 9.3 to 10 rc1 I have a problem with cdrecord.

With 9.3 I was able to see where my cd-r was (example dev=0,1,0) And I could find that by using cdrecord --scanbus.

Now, running this command again on version 10 I get this output ;

CODE
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

I found out that my cd-r is : /dev/cdrom
and is mouted at /mnt/cdrom

How can I find the parameters for --dev=x,y,z ???

Thanks in advantage.
adam.stokes
First off that cdrecord version looks like some hacked up version of cdrecord, try getting a official cdrecord package and see if that helps
blackmojo
CODE
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

This was the version that came in the package, i use RedHat 9.1

and i have the same problem.

Some input, please
lesio1974
let me give this a try:

old mandrake was based on kernel 2.4 and as such, the support for CD-R drives required that the IDE controller in your PC runs in SCSI emulation mode; the boot loader was set to initiate the emulation and assign the device number for the CD-R at the boot time to make sure that emulation is always on and not dependent on user input;

now, when you say "after upgrade", I am assuming that your Mandrake 10 is not a clean install over a blank space and that you utilised Mandrake 9.3 parttions without erasing Mandrake 9.3;

with the above assumption let me go on:

the Mandarke 10 is based on 2.6 kernel; this kernel does not require CD (or DVD) burners to run in the SCSI emulation, they can run in their native ATA mode; your bootloader is no longer required to initiate the SCSI emulation at boot time;
when upgrading, your bootloader got updated with new info and SCSI emulation command was removed;
but your cdrecord config file did not get updated (as it may happen when you just upgrade an old distro with a new one; some config files will be updated but some not; that is why doing a clean install of a new distro is preferable over upgrading) and it tells cdrecord to look for a SCSI drive, which does not exist;

if the above is true, you have to uninstall cdrecord first and reinstall it form scratch;
that should get rid of old config files and place a new one for you;

hope this is helpful

g
lesio1974
in addition I found this in Fedora Core 2 release notes (i know, it is different distro, but this a general note that applies to kernel 2.6):

"The 2.6 kernel provides a new and much-improved mechanism (known as SG_IO) for applications that must send raw commands to storage devices. This includes applications for burning CDs or for extracting data from audio CDs. SG_IO also eliminates the need for ide-scsi emulation, where boot-time parameters such as hdd=ide-scsi were required to support ATAPI CD burners.

Applications packaged as part of Fedora Core 2 have been adjusted to take advantage of SG_IO. For example, to burn a CD using cdrecord, the old-style command was similar to this:

cdrecord --dev=0,0,0 <iso-file>

With SG_IO, the command would be similar to this:

cdrecord --dev=<device> <iso-file>

Where <device> could be any valid IDE (/dev/hdc) or SCSI/USB (/dev/scd0) device file name."

good luck

g
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.