Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cant Finish Installing Xwindow
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
spiroth10
please, help me. Ive finished installing everything needed, and the faq says I need to run xf86config.
problem is its not an application. I think its a text file -- but I dunno. I never installed Xwindow myself before, so can someone give me a dumbed down tutorial on what im supposed to do next? thanks.
heylan
Have you tried "XFree86 -config"?

After issuing that command, there should be some instructions on how to test the config file generated. Something like this "To test the server, run 'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new'"

IF everything works fine, you should then see a grey screen with a black X in the centre. You should be able to move that X with your mouse. From there, to escape from the grey screen, hold the Ctrl and Alt button and press the BackSpace button. That will bring you back to the console.

Make a copy of the XF86Config.new file into the /etc directory as XF86Config (if I remember correctly). Then type "startx" at the console. KDE starts after I issue that command. But then, I don't know if it works for zipslack as I'm using the full version of Slackware.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.