Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oops.
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
The Warlock
Okay, I'm a n00b. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

I just installed Linux for the first time. It's Redhat 9.0. Anyway, after I finally got it to dual-boot correctly with my Windows XP installation, I tried to install the Linux drivers for my Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card.

The first time, I didn't read the directions, didn't realize that after unpacking the rpm I needed to run fglrxconfig, and I could only boot to command line. So, I ran fglrxconfig and accidentally gave it the wrong hsync and vsync settings for my monitor. So now it boots to gnome and tries to set itself to some resolution (I think 1280x1024@100) that my monitor can't handle and my monitor shuts off.

So my question is, how do you get the damn thing to boot to a command line (only when I want it to, thank you) instead of to gnome?
hughesjr
When booting, at the Grub selection screen, press e ...

Then use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel line ... and at the end of the line add a space and a 3.

Then press enter to get back to the main selection screen, then press b to boot...

You will boot (this time only) into text mode.
The Warlock
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Jul 23 2004, 07:15 AM)
When booting, at the Grub selection screen, press e ...

Then use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel line ... and at the end of the line add a space and a 3.

Then press enter to get back to the main selection screen, then press b to boot...

You will boot (this time only) into text mode.

I'm using LILO, not grub.
The Warlock
Umm.... bump? What is the LILO boot-prompt command to boot Linux to the command line? Anyone? Please?
Jim
With Lilo you hit esc and than I can't remember whether its init 3 or just 3. But you will have to add it to your boot title. So it will look something like
redhat init 3
or the like.
The Warlock
QUOTE (Jim @ Jul 23 2004, 04:47 PM)
With Lilo you hit esc and than I can't remember whether its init 3 or just 3. But you will have to add it to your boot title. So it will look something like
redhat init 3
or the like.

Thanks, it worked!

Anyway, the driver (fglrx) still doesn't. The "Enable Hardware 3D Acceleration" check box is grayed. There's no built-in Radeon 9600 driver, and when I switched to the Radeon (Generic) dirver, XFree86 wouldn't start again. I got it to start again, but the box is still grayed. Do you know how to get hardware acceleration to work?
hughesjr
Is this on a Nvidia NFORCE2 chipset motherboard? If so, see this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.