Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardware Controls In Kde
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frodo44
Hi,

I just installed slack 10, and I'm kinda wondering where the menu is to change basic hardware things (ie Monitor, Mouse, etc). I'm positive that it was in previous KDE versions (I'm running KDE 3.2.3, btw), but I can't seem to get to the menus. I realize that this can be done through the command line, but I would rather use some of the presets from KDE. If anyone knows if there is something I'm just stupidly missing, please post back, or if they've come across the same problem. Sorry for the stupid question, but I couldn't find anything about it in the KDE documentation.

Eric

PS. I'm pretty sure that the means to do this used to be in a window that opens up the menus that I can get (from the wrench icon on the taskbar), such as the monitor resolution and mouse speed settings. However, there is absolutely no mention of changing any of the hardware. Ugh!
hughesjr
The hardware detection and changes are part of the distro ... and Slackware doesn't provide any GUI way to do that.

There is a KDE Control Center ... but you already found that.

Fedora Core, Mandrake and SUSE do provide GUI tools for things like that in their distros.

Slackware, Debian and Gentoo do not...
frodo44
I see...
Are there any "third party" sort of hardware controllers that I might get from sourceforge or freshmeat? Or will I just have to grit my teeth and dive into the XF86Config?

Thanks,

Eric
hughesjr
I normally edit my XF86Config by hand anyway ...

What is your monitor make/model, your video card make/model, and your mouse make/model?
frodo44
ViewSonic E771
NVidia GeForce 4 Mx440 SE
Logitech [Optical Mouse?] w/ Scroll Wheel

I'm not quite sure of the Model of the Mouse, it doesn't say anything on the bottom other than Optical Mouse and some serial numbers.

Thanks,
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.