Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing An Os Remotley With Ssh
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
david_harvey
OK, I recently got a server and its at a datacenter so the only access I have to it is through SSH. I want to put a new OS on it, I was thinking Windows Server 2003. I already have the iso on the server, I want to know if it is possible to install this operating system without risking losing complete access to my server.

Would it be possible to

Partition the hard drive
Install the iso
install VNC to gain access to win server remotley
format the linux partition
delete the partition

and now have a complete install of win server 2003?

Is this even possible with just SSH access?

blah linux is so sad.gif
dlab
There is no possible way to install an OS over ssh. You would have to restart somewhere in the process, and it is not possible. It may be if you made up some sort of bootloader with a weak linux kernel that loaded the installer into the memory and modified it for automation or control over ssh, but this would be a huge task.

Ohh, BTW, FreeBSD isn't a Linux Distro, FreeBSD is BSD. BSD != Linux. They are clones of UNIX, but I can guarantee you Linux is much easier than BSD for beginners. BSD is very paranoid, and secure, but hard to unserstand (figuing out lotta stuff for myself). If you wanted to use, lets say, Linux, you might want to try Debian. Its apt-get app is really nice and you can easily install XVnc for easier remote administration. I am sorry, but I am a strong believer in servers not relying on GUIs. Windows is a huge pile of sh*t and can shrivel up and die for all I care.

-- this post is the sole responsibility of me -- dlab -- and linuxhelp.ca doesn't take any resposibity for any of it.
^^^ Just in case of lame M$ people are browsing..

--edit--
made the post a bit nicer..
dlab
QUOTE (david_harvey @ Jul 14 2004, 10:18 PM)
Would it be possible to

Partition the hard drive
Install the iso
install VNC to gain access to win server remotley
format the linux partition
delete the partition

O.o: After you partition the hard drive, FreeBSD would be gone, and you don't have to format a partition before you delete it..
hughesjr
It is possible to do a new Linux install via SSH on a remote server. The two easiest ways I know to do it would be Gentoo or LinuxFromScratch.

In either senerio, you need an already booting Linux server and free (and unpartitioned) space to create a new root partition ... then install into that partition and set the new partition to boot after it is completed.

I don't know that you can do either of those via FreeBSD ... or if FreeBSD can be installed that way.

You would probably get much better help concerning how to do this on a booting FreeBSD Server from either the FreeBSD Mailing Lists or BSDForums.org...especially if you want to put FreeBSD back on the server.

I can install and use FreeBSD ... but other than a Machine that boots it for testing, I have never really used it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.