Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boot Loader Woes...
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
purdude87
I'm trying to put Red Hat 8.0 on a machine with WindowsXP. They are on seperate physical drives. I try installing a boot loader in the first sector of the boot partition on the second drive. The installation goes fine until everything is done and it's ready to restart... it says some error like ' assert path != null failed over and over again.... I can't really read the rest before it restarts. When I restart, the boot loader refuses to work. When I tried installing with GRUB, it prints GRUB up at the top of the screen, and doesn't do anything else. When I tried installing with LILO, it prints LI at the top of the screen and the refuses to do anything else. I have been able to boot to Linux using the floppy boot disk, but I need to get a boot loader working. Does anyone know how to fix this??
Hemant
this will require a reinstallation:
1.u should try to install lilo on the first sector of boot partition(which must be on the second hrd drive ,right?).then do the following..
use ur boot disk to get into linux.and do follwoing .
copy a file called to the bootsect.lnx to the floppy using command
dd if =/dev/hdb5 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
mount /mnt/floppy
cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt/floppy
umount /mnt/floppy
here i have assumed that ur boot partition is /hdb5 so replace it with ur's one.now exit from linux and get into xp.edit a file called boot.ini and at the end put follwing lines there.
c:bootsect.lnx="linux"
save the file and reboot ur system.now enjoy a dual boot system.
2.try to install grub on the mbr.rest will be taken care by the grub iteslf.don't worry that grub won't allow to boot in to windows.
THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM.INFACT I AM SICK OF TYPE THE WHOLE THING AGAIN AND AGAIN.SO I AM PUTTING THIS ON MY WEBSITE
http://geocities.com/anandstupid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.