Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ssh: Redownload Freebsd Onto Server
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
david_harvey
Hi, Im new to the whole linux/ssh stuff and I need help with a few things.

I ordered a self managed server with FreeBSD and the only way I can access it is through SSH.
Well, my problem is that I accidently changed a file and I think it messed up my server. I can still login to it and have superuser access, but I noticed everything stopped workin on it.

I was wondering if there was a way to remotely reinstall a operating system. If you can help me please post or if you prefer instant messaging:
AIM:davidharvey0

Thanks -- David
hughesjr
You are better off trying to fix the one file ... it is possible to remotely install an OS ... BUT it is not a very good idea. If anything goes wrong, you totally lose access to the BOX in most circumstances.

(unless you have alot of free space that you can use to create all new partitions ... and still boot to the original if there is a problem).

I would do a remote OS install as an absolute last resort.
david_harvey
Ok, I have 80 Gigabytes of Space. almost all of it is open. Where would i get the replacement files from?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.