Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lan Card ?
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
NeilE
G'day,
I'm restarting an oldish MoBo (A7V) and will need a LAN card to connect it to my ADSL modem.
Dose anyone know which brand/model I should buy?
Running Fedora C1.
TIA.
Jim
In my opinion it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. 3Coms are gonna be really nice, and pricey, and excesive. I would recomend to try to stay away from the bottom of the barrel generic ones as some times they have wiered drive issues. In general, any middle of the road Belkin of Lynksis type ethernet controler is going to be fine.
Corey
i've had good experiences with anything requiring the ne2k-pci (network anywhere compatible card) and the 8139too modules (realtek 8139 chipset). I would suggest going with either of these.
hughesjr
I have had good luck with netgear fa-311 in Linux and WinXP....and they are pretty cheap.

I also have had no problems with intel e-100 or e-100 clones.
NeilE
Thanks,
I should have mentioned that my modem/router is a Netgear 834, so I've bought a Netgear FA311 Rev-02 card.
Twice the price of the 'cheepys' and half the price of the 3COMM.
It will run on 3.5v or 5v.
I don't think I will ever be needing 1000MB. (Dreaming.......Money).
Netgear are very supportive of Linux.
I don't think I'll have any problems setting it up, apart from the usual IRQ problems that come with this MoBo.
Thanks again, Neil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.