Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I Set Linux Enterprise To Accept Vpn Con's?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ninux
I just setup my first linux server. My router is designed to work with VPN connections. I wanted to know if I can set my linux server to allow remote drive connections via VPN without additional software.

I've not done this before so be gentle smile.gif

Thanks

I have Linux ES version 3, and would like to connection to this machine with XP professional. I have a static IP constant on internet connection.
dlab
You mean Redhat Server Enterprise?
Robert83
Hi,

if you want to remotely administer that linux computer from a windows computer then just
make sure that sshd daemon is running /etc/init.d/sshd status

2. make absolutely sure!!!!! that /etc/sshd/sshd.conf is modified so that protocol 2 is used !!! not protocol 1 and 2 !!!!

3. www.google.com putty

download and run putty.exe

type in the ip adress of the computer (linux enterprise server) and there you have it.

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
remote drive connections?

Do you mean windows shares, NFS, or what? You should be able to do ethier across the VPN (just like you can locally) ... but it might be very slow,and use all your bandwidth.

Do your firewalls pass all tcp and udp traffic between the 2 networks via the VPN, or only certian ports?
ninux
I have no means of remote connection currently at all. I do have a router that is connected to an always on internet connection that is designed to work with VPN connections.

I have a person that will be off for medical reasons that wants to work from home. I'd like to set up a off site connection for them VPN.

I only need to share file directories on the linux box not printers.

My server is Redhat linux enterprise 3.0. The offsite computer will have XP professional installed.

I'm seeking a simple how too or an easy book to use.
dlab
So you mean like SMB sharing then..
ninux
shrugs, No idea if it smb or not. I think I'm supposed to do it with IPsec. I found a graphical IPec tool. I'm not sure how to fill in the IPsec info though.

It asks for the following

nickname

network type host to host encryption or network to network encryption (VPN)

encryption type

local net address
local subnet mask
local gateway

Remote Network settings

remote IP address
remote Net Address
Remote Subnet mask
Remote Net gateway

I can fill out all but the remote network settings. This is as far as I've got.

thanks
hughesjr
OK ... so I think I almost have your question figured out (not the answer, but the question) smile.gif

You have a router that has support for IPSEC and you want to allow a person to connect through that router to your local network ... right?

It is the connection from the client to the router that will envolve VPN / IPSEC software ... not the connection to the server. (Unless you are using a Linux Router that has something like Super Free S/WLAN).

Some questions you need to answer are:

1. What client is the person going to connect with (ie, is using WindowsXP home, Windows XP Pro, RedHat 9, etc. at home).

2. What is his connection type (ie, DSL, Cable, dial-up ... static IP on his end or dynamic).
---------------------
Then you need to get client software to allow that external PC connect to your router via the VPN connection.

You would first configure the router to allow a VPN connection ... then connect the external client to connect to router.

The router manufacturer should provide documentation on how to configure the router to accept a VPN connection ... then, after installing the VPN client software and connecting, the external machine should look like it is on the local network.

How that machine then interacts with the RHEL server is the same as it would if it were on the local network...except slower.
michaelk
I do not know what VPN software is included with RH.
Some VPN info:
http://www.poptop.org/
http://www.freeswan.org/
http://linas.org/linux/vpn.html

What type of router do you have? Some have built in VPN servers but the typical home user type only has a VPN pass through for IPSEC or PPTP.
ninux
1. What client is the person going to connect with (ie, is using WindowsXP home, Windows XP Pro, RedHat 9, etc. at home).

Windows XP profession

2. What is his connection type (ie, DSL, Cable, dial-up ... static IP on his end or dynamic).

DSL (checking on the IP) I hazard a guess that the IP changes per day

Then you need to get client software to allow that external PC connect to your router via the VPN connection.

I think Win XP pro comes with a client

You would first configure the router to allow a VPN connection ... then connect the external client to connect to router.

The router manufacturer should provide documentation on how to configure the router to accept a VPN connection ... then, after installing the VPN client software and connecting, the external machine should look like it is on the local network.

How that machine then interacts with the RHEL server is the same as it would if it were on the local network...except slower.

Ahh I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Linux server to accept the vpn connection from the router

Thanks for the reply. I've ordered another book on Linux VPN connections.
hughesjr
There shouldn't need to be a vpn connection between the router and the RH server ... only between the router and the client.

Once the client is connected to the router, he should have access to you network as if he is local.

He should then be able to access whatever he needs.
ninux
This is one of linksys routers. That passes VPN traffic, It also serves as our internet gateway, DHCP server. It needs a vpn server on this side to work.

I've narrowed it down a little over the last couple days. I'll have to set up a cipe connection.

I'm stil researching
thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.