Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Linux Newbie Questions
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Gauge
Okay, here are a few questions for any of you Linux masters out there:

1) I have an XP box and a Linux RH8.0 box. The Linux box can see the XP box on the network and can connect to it. However, when I attempt to transfer files from the shares on the XP box to the Linux box, I get all sorts of weird reactions. Usually it's a hard crash after about 60 seconds, but sometimes it's partial copies of files and then the shell I used to copy the files just never recovers. I can't CNTRL-C out of it or anything. What gives?

2) In the exact same situation above, the XP box can see the Linux box, but when it tries to connect, it is asked for a username and password (as expected). However, no matter which of the four or five test accounts I have created will allow access. It's denied every time.

3) I have an external USB2.0 drive bay with a WD 82.6GB drive that I have to mount as device sda. It's formatted and partitioned and such and mounts just fine. How do I make it mount this device every time it boots? It's not going anywhere soon. :P

4) When I connect to the XP box using smbclient, why do I get the following?

# smbclient //192.168.1.100/backup -U bob
added interface ip=192.168.1.102 bcast=192.168.1.255
session request to 192.168.1.100 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Password:

What are the two session request failures for? The IP address is correct. And moreover, why am I able to connect if the session requests failed? Does this have something to do with question #1?

5) When I connec to the XP box using smbclient, I cannot connect to just the computer via the IP address using //192.168.1.100 as the service attribute. I have to have a share (like //192.168.1.100/shared) or I get the following error:

2.168.1.100: Not enough '' characters in service

6) Whenever I try to connect to SWAT by using Mozilla and typing http://localhost:901 I get an error saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:901."

7) When looking around in help sections for SWAT and Samba and such, I saw a few lines I needed to check for or insert in /etc/inetd.conf. However, that file didn't seem to exist. Is there a good reason? :/

8) When trying to uninstall the samba package I downloaded in order to install the version that RH is trying to download as an "update", I typed the following command and got the following errors:

# rpm -e samba-2.2.7a-1
warning: /etc/pam.d/samba saved as /etc/pam.d/samba.rpmsave
error reading information on service smb: No such file or directory
error: %trigger(samba-2.2.7a-1) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

SYSTEM / NETWORK INFO:

Linux Box:

Using RedHat Linux 8.0, Samba 2.2.7a, 3com 10/100 NIC, P4 1.6 o/c'd to 1.68, 512MB PC2100 DDR

XP Box:

XP Professional (SP1), Linksys 10/100 NIC, P4 2.53, 512 MB PC3200 DDR (running at 400MHz, of course)

Network:

The two above machines, my wife's computer, all on a 100BaseT ethernet LAN with a Linksys 4-port router running DHCP services, with all NICs set for automatic IP detection. ;)
alex_123_sk
2) Make sure your samba server confguration give the user the right permission
Okay, here are a few questions for any of you Linux masters out there:

5) You must specify a share name for the connection

6) You must have the wed server running otherwise you must specify the file name with full path

7) inetd is history now, use xinetd, xinetd config file have different format from inetd.

8) you don't have to uninstall, use rpm -Uvh samba......(U stands for ungrade)
alex_123_sk
Oop! May be I am wrong about question 6, I never use SWAT so may be SWAP shall listen to that port on its own?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.