Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modem
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Lozil
Hi guys i have a Motorola Sm 56 modem and i am running a system based on the redhat9
my kernal version is 2.4.22-1
i installed the rh9 drivers from motorola but they dont seem to work!
just tell me can i make that modem work with my linux?
I am very new to linux gaining pace,
so if i can please explain me the steps
Thank you
Pronco
Try to get kernel 2.2 and your modem driver will work efficiently !
lesio1974
Hello

Your modem is a so-called Winmodem (soft-modem; controller-less modem); it is a cut-down variant of a hardware modem (controller-based modem) and they are designed and built to pass most of the signal processing to the CPU by using specialized, Windows-only drivers;

soft-modems for a long-time had no drivers for Linux; nowadays, there is some support available but getting a soft-modem to work with Linux is still a major undertaking, takes lots of trial and error and after all is not guarranteed to work;

you can try this but from my own experience, buying a real, hardware modem is your best option; hardware modems work flawlessly in Linux and even in Windows you should be able to get faster and more reliable connections;

whatever you do, good luck; keep posting if you have more questions

q
hughesjr
No 2.2 kernels ... that is NOT a Good idea.
hughesjr
WinModems are not Modems

Use the above info or Go here and see if you can find a driver for your specific modem:

http://linmodems.org/
Lozil
Thank you I tried From many days and then asked you people,Now i think i must go for a new modem because i am tiered of that sick modem
Thanks Again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.