Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Samba Server With Raid...how Do I Do It?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
going_tech
I would like to setup an Samba server with Raid on my computer running Redhat 9.0. Is this too difficult a project for a Linux Noob? Is Redhat 9.0 a good distro for this?
hughesjr
RedHat 9 no longer gets updates from RH .... I would use CentOS as the OS.

What kind of RAID? ... Hardware RAID, software RAID ... SCSI Drives, IDE Drives, SATA Drives?

See this thread concerning Enterprise Linux
going_tech
Which RAID is better hardware or software? Is there a big difference between them? I would use IDE drives, because I have a few of them laying around. (Thought I was kidding when I said I was a Noob, didn't ya?!?) blink.gif
going_tech
OK, I read up on RAID and I have some better answers. I would like to do software RAID with IDE drives. I am leaning towards RAID 1+0, because data loss in more of a concern than performance increase. I am using an older desktop, 300Mhz with 192MB RAM. Will that be enough or do I need to upgrade? Do I need to keep my server configuration simple in order to accomidate RAID? Will RAID work with Samba or do I need to setup a domain? Is there a reason that Noob and Boob rhyme? blink.gif
hughesjr
OK that machine will do fine as a server ... but not with X Windows running all the time.

You can install X-windows (ie the GUI), but later you should make it boot into non-gui mode and run X only when required.

The RAID doesn't affect samba.

Once RAID is working ... the filesystem is like any other.

You say you are not woried about performance ... but RAID level 1 (mirroring) is VERY slow.

RAID level 5 is a fairly good compromise...but it requires 3 drives.

The more drives you can use in the RAID, the better ... both for speed and reliability.

But without another controller card, on most boards 3 is the max you can setup.

3 drives is unsafe though .... because if you loose a full channel (the primary or secondary IDE channel) then you might have a problem with 2 drives (the master and slave on that channel) which would not be recoverable. (At least that is what the experts say) smile.gif

I personally have done RAID 5 on 3 drives with a motherboard IDE controller and had no problems several times.

SO, anyway, RAID 5 is probably the best version to choose (in my opinion).

Once RAID is up and running and the filesystem is installed, then setting up samba (or any other program) is exactly the same on RAID or none RAID systems.
hughesjr
RAID 1+0 is the fastest way to RAID ... it is basically 2 different RAID 0 arrays (ie stripping, no CRC) ... and the second array mirrors the first array.

The problem with that setup on Linux is that it requires at least 4 drives (2 absolutely minimum in each array) ... so it requires a controller card with most setups.

It is also harder to maintain ... and to shift to the mirror, than a RAID 5 solution.

It is faster than a RAID 5 or RAID 1 solution though....

I would still stick with RAID 5 ...

Look here for info:
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html
going_tech
If I remove the CD Drive and set up two master and two slaves will that work or will I still need a seperate IDE controller?
I read about the Raid 5 but I don't get how parity works, that is why I was leaning toward mirroring. With mirroring the data is supposed to all be there, right? And with parity it just checks to make sure the drives have equal amounts of data, right? If I understood Raid 5, one harddrive could go out and all data could be lost, is that right? I know I am being paranoid, but I want to set this up to keep from losing alot of data....again. blink.gif
By the way, did I mention that I don't know how to set up just a regular Linux server? biggrin.gif unsure.gif
hughesjr
With RAID 5 ... you could lose 1 drive and recover ... if you lose 2 drives, no recovery. Same as RAID 1+0 or mirroring.
-------------------
Booting from RAID is a pain ... and putting swap on software RAID is also a pain ... I always put the base install on a seperate drive and RAID the data (if using software RAID).
-------------------
You could do a RAID 1+0 install via a network with 4 drives and no CD, though I have never installed that way. I have also never installed the main linux install on a Software RAID.

I always put the base install on a seperate drive (non-raid) ... then put the RAID (RAID-5) on 3 seperate drives for the datafiles.

If one of the raid drives fail (in RAID-5) ... replace it with a new drive (that has a blank partition the same size as the other RAID partitions) and rebuild it from the CRC data.
------------------
I have a couple software RAID installs now (and have done several others for other people)... but they are all RAID-5.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.