Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X Window Error & Internet Problem....
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ando
first of all, after login, i type startx the screen goes black and some text goes down but it doesnt load. at the bottom it says:
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

also, i understand to configure the internet you type netconfig. i have 3 ethernet cards and 1 wifi card so i need to tell the computer to use the wifi, and cause i have wifi, i have a router so i need to know how i can enter the ip, dubnet, gateway, and how i can enter the encrypted password.

ps
im a noob, using slackware distro and i have windows xp installed (dule boot using lilo)

thank you very much,
ando
Jim
Lets start with the x stysem, because thats what I know, I don't know wi-fi.

You have one of two problems, either you /etc/X11/XF86Config file has an error in it, or you need to install some modules for your video card. What kind of card are you using? Whats the rest of the error? Usually there is something like "Screens found, non with usual configurations" or something, that will give me a little bit more of a hint as to whats going wrong.
ando
im using a gforce 5200, there is no more on the error, but i can go and find what it reads before the section i posted.

thanks again for helping me out.
Jim
well we should start by installing the nvidia modules.

Try this first, open up your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and go down to the "Device section, make sure that the Driver is "nv" not "nvidia"

If it wasn't, change it, save it, and try startx and see what happens.

Ok, but either way you need to install the nvidia module. If you have an internet connection from the command line you can type the command

wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...0-6106-pkg1.run

Thats a lot to type in I know, you can just download it from your windows side and move it over somehow to. It doesn't matter, just get that file.

Now run these commands from the folder where you have the run package (make sure you have moved it off your NTFS windows drive if you had it there)

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --extract-only

Now go to the extracted directory:

cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1

Now install the driver:

make install

Edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config

make sure Load glx is in the Section "Module" section and change the driver in the Section "Device" for the video card to:

Driver "nvidia"

run lsmod and make sure nvidia shows up if it doesn't try modprobe nvidia

You should now be able to startx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.