Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thunderbird Email Folder Location
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Onestep
I downloaded and installed Mozilla Thunderbird in my Home directory.
I now have a folder in Home titled Thunderbird. I opened the folder, clicked on files till the program executed, then created a shortcut to that executing file on my desktop.

Is Home the "proper place" to keep installed program files?
Is there a better way to figure out what file executes a program?

I'm a Linux newbie who's trying to unlearn Windows.
One thing I've noticed about Linux is that you need to 'think' biggrin.gif !!
wookmaster
usually the executable is just the program name in my experience. Im still pretty new tho. I have he same problem you do both firebird and thunderbird are in my home directory. Im afraid to move them tho incase it disrupts some other files smile.gif
hughesjr
I normally put the whole directory in /usr/lib .... so, as root, go to the home directory that contains thunderbird directory.

mv thunderbird/ /usr/lib/
ln -s /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/thunberbird

Create a shortcut (actually the linux term is a launcher) that points to /usr/bin/thunderbird
Onestep
Thanks hughesjr I appreciate your help!

I understand what "mv thunderbird/ /usr/lib/ " does,
but what is "ln -s /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/thunberbird" ?
hughesjr
It creates a logical link from the location /usr/bin/thunderbird that points to the file /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird. So when you run /usr/bin/thunderbird, it really executes the file /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird.

Since /usr/bin is where executable files go, we create a link for thunderbird there.
wookmaster
awesome thanks worked great
Onestep
If I understand correctly,

Program Directories go in------------> /usr/lib
and
Executable Files, or a Logical Link to an Executable File, go in --------> /usr/bin

Thanks again !!
wookmaster
In case you dont know, lib = libraries bin = binaries

can be confusing to see those words and not know what they are I know.
hughesjr
Some linux distros put programs like thunderbird in /opt ... most put it in /lib.

Here is a link to read about the Linux Standard for the filesystem. It is called the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Here is more about FHS:
http://ldp.hughesjr.com/HOWTO/HighQuality-...-HOWTO/fhs.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.