Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suse Versus Redhat Linux
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
basilku
I am a Zimbabwean currently looking at migrating from my current SCO OpenServer implementation to Linux. Currently we are using SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 and the application is Tetra CS/3. Due to the the acquisition of Tetra by Sage, we are now forced to move to Sage Line 500. This means a subsequent change of Operating Systems (says our supplier) as SCO does not support Sage. Please help me decide which operating system to move to.

Furthermore, do I REALLY have to move from SCO as this is the operating system that I have been using since 1996.
Hemant
I think Redhat Enterprise Linux will be a good idea.
But suse is also not bad..Suse was acquired by novell and ever since i think support for Suse Enterprise edition has increased.
hughesjr
I think that the long term stability of an Enterprise system will be a must.

I checked out the company's website and it seems they can run their solutions on several platforms ... but only they will be able to tell you if they can support SCO OpenServer.

Personally, I wouldn't piss on a burning SCO product to put the fire out, after the way they have attacked Linux ... but that is a personal opinion.

What are the choices they are offering you? RedHat Enterprise Linux and SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 8 ... or just the Basic Linux distros?

The line you are quoting (Sage Line 500) is their largest product, so I would think it requires one of the Enterprise products.
Corey
I'm a SUSE fan, I've never liked any of the Redhat products.

I will know more when my resource kit comes in smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.