Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screen Resolution
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
heylan
Hi,

I would like to know how to change the screen resolution for my KDE. I have tried changing the line "vga=787" in the lilo.conf file but it doesn't change anything.

I found nothing in XF86Config or xinitrc.kde that has anything to do with resolution. Can anyone advise?

Thanks.
Corey
The vga= option in lilo refers to console only, not KDE (X-server).

You need to edit your "/etc/X11/XF86Config" and look in the screens section for something like this:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "nv"
    Device      "Gefore"
    Monitor    "Generic Multisync"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth      8
      Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth      16
        Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth      24
        Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Under the setting you have for default depth, add in what resoultions you want *supported*. For example, if under 16-bit i wanted to add 800x600, then that subsection would look like:

Subsection "Display"
        Depth        16
        Modes        "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubsection

While in X (KDE), you can cycle through resolutions by press the keyboard combination of Ctrl+Alt+(-) (control+alt+minus) or Ctrl+Alt+(+) (control+alt+plus).
Jim
Most of the distros have a gui tool to alow you to change it somewhere. KDE has it in the controle center under Perfipherals-Display.
heylan
Thanks guys. I've tried the manual method (editing the XF86Config file) but it doesn't work.

Under KDE's Control Panel->Peripherals->X, I've managed to change the display. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.