Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gurb And Kernel Recompile
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
redhavoc
Hello guys, I have RH 8 installed on my computer, and I have installed GURB instead of LILO because I have problems booting winXP with lilo sad.gif . I want to recompile the kernel, but am not sure what to do with grub. With lilo I know I have to run it once after installing the kernel. what do I have to do with grub because I found no info concerning it in the kernel compilation documentation and readme I checked so far.
By the way do you recommend modules or features build on the kernel specifically (I use build in features because I know few things about modules and their managment)
Corey
Grub works a bit different than LILO. As you said, with LILO, you have to re-run LILO after upgrading your kernel.

With grub, all you need to do is edit the config file (usually /boot/grub/grub.conf) and add the new kernel in there (just use the methods already shown in that file), and that's it, you don't need to re-run grub or anything. When grub starts up, it will look at that config file, and give you the option to boot that particular kernel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.