Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie - Acrobat Reader Install
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
darryn99
Hi All,

I have just successfully installed Mandrake 10 alongside WinXP. I've downloaded Acrobat Reader for Linux and now would not have a clue what to do with it! My thinking is that if someone would be kind enough to offer a few clues as to how to install it, it would help me for other progs - give me the basics if you like!!

I have at least managed to extract the compressed files....

Thanks in advance

Darryn
Robert83
hi,

it should be quiet simple

just go to the directory you unpacked the tar.gz file

and type
CODE
./install

and follow the instrutions

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?a...t=ST&f=3&t=2954

open a terminal window, go the the directory where you unzipped the file and do as robert said ... run ./install

if you get the error noted in the above link, you may need to edit the file called out in that link...
Hemant
One problem you might encounter while running Acrobat is it will say UTF-8 not supported...then edit the file ~/.bashrc and put following lines
CODE
LANG = "C"
export LANG
darryn99
Thanks Folks - I'm getting there. Please remember I saw Linux (Mandrake) for the first time yesterday and am still coming to terms with terminals and GUI's etc. I know this sounds stupid, but I keep getting "permission denied" when the Acrobat install wants to create a subdirectory in /USR. I suspect I need to log in as root. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do that within the GUI. I know this is basic stuff - I'm using this install of Acrobat Reader as a way to learn the basics!!

Thanks again for your patience - don't hit yourselves in the forehead too hard with the palm of your hand as you read this.

Cheers

Darryn
hughesjr
you have to do the install as the user named root...

in the terminal, before you issue the install commands, issue the command:

su - root

then enter your root password.

Then do the command:

whoami

it should say root.

Everything you do in that terminal window will be as the root user ... all other things that are going on outside that terminal (ie, the menu bar ... all your other programs) are running as the user you logged in as.
darryn99
I'm making progress (I think...)

I accept the acrobat licence agreement and the following appears...

Enter installation directory for Acrobat 5.0.9 [/usr/local/Acrobat5]

I press enter and the following appears...

Installing platform dependent files ... Done
./INSTALL: line 219: ed: command not found
ERROR installing /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread

That's where I'm at - no Acrobat Reader yet...

Is this a problem with the Adobe Installation Files?

Thanks

Darryn
Robert83
Hi,

You need the ed package...

open up the console and try

apt-get install ed

or

yum install ed

or find the add remove programs (or something like that) and search for a package called ed
and install it

Sincerely
Robert B
darryn99
Thanks for your help Gents,

All go - now for the digital video camera.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.