Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firefox 0.9 Is Released
Linuxhelp > In The Community > News
hughesjr
FireFox version 0.9 is released. Download from HERE.

Install instructions HERE.

Release Notes HERE.

How I installed it:

My old install was at /usr/lib/firefox and my old plugin directory was a link to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

1. Download firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz as the root user to /root. Open a terminal window (as root) and issue the command:

cd /root

2. Untar the file with the command:

tar -xvzf firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz

cd firefox-installer

./firefox-installer

3. Exit firefox and then cd /usr/lib

4. mv firefox firefox_old

5. mv /root/firefox-installer firefox

6. take care of your plugins:

cd /usr/lib/firefox

rm -rf plugins

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins plugins

(if you plugins are not already in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ... issue this command:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

cp /usr/lib/firefox_old/plugins/* .

7. Now setup an executeable to run firefox.

cd /usr/bin
rm -rf firefox
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox firefox

It should be working by typing the command:

firefox
Mazer
Has anybody noticed firefox0.9 crashing alot? No error message or anything, just completely closing by itself. Nut only the active window, but rather all firefox windows that are open. It was so annoying I had to go back to 0.8.
Corey
I haven't noticed any of these problems in Firefox for Windows or linux. And, come to think of it, I remember people complaining that Firefox 0.8 for Windows was famous for crashing a lot or freezing.

Try running it from a console window and see what messages are displayed after the crash. Firefox should have a bugzilla set up to report bugs like this.
hughesjr
I works OK for me as well. I did have a problem some of the text not working in Dialog boxes ... but I installed it again, and it worked ok after that.
Corey
Just for an update, Firefox 0.9.1 has been released today fixing some problems from the last week as well as changing some other things based on user-feedback.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, i'm short on time smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.