Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question About Kernels
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cyris
I am running redhat 6.2 sparc which uses 2.2.14-5.0. Can I just grab a kernel from kernel.org and use it? or do I have to wait for a kernel to come out with a newer sparc release? if they ever release another.
Jim
I am not entierly sure, but I am would be willing to bet that you have to wait for a new SPARC based kernel. In fact I am almost 100% positive that you would need new SPARC kernel. SPARC is pretting different like like i586 or something like most systems are. Sorry, but you have to wait.
Hemant
When a new kernel version comes...it comes usually for all the architectures..
Thus you can grab the latest kernel sources and install it..(At least theoratically)

But actually kernel depends upon several other things...thus before compiling the kernel..you will have to get latest version of gcc and glibc and may be something more.

But once you upgrade these packages..your other things will behave erratically.So best option should be to upgrade everything altogether.SPARC platforms are well supported by Linux.
I do not think you will have many problems..
hughesjr
gethemant is technically correct.

You can compile the lastest kernel for your sparc machine .... BUT

It will cause you problems with the rest of your system...

There are many patches by RedHat and things (like hardware detection) will not work with a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.

Other items, like ipchains / iptables, may not function correctly ... and there are many issues like glibc and gcc ... but also things like binutilities.

It would be a major undertaking to move to a 2.4 (or 2.6) kernel and still use RH 6.2 on SPARC.

--------------
What might be better, in the long run, is to use a different distro for your sparc ...

Gentoo and Debian both still support SPARC with their latest releases ... as does FreeBSD.
chrisw
redhat 6.2 was the last redhat release that ran on sparc
hughesjr
QUOTE (chrisw @ Jun 9 2004, 01:06 PM)

That is correct ... which is why using a different distro (if you want newer features and kernels) might be a good idea.
Hemant

Well,honestly i was not aware of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.