Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-mail Things Need To Be Explained
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Robert83
Hi,

I just checked my maillog on the mail server I just set up (that bt.alstar.co.yu) , and found a e-mail was rejected by ptt.yu which was declared as spam by www.spamhaus.de (or org ?) .

The thing is what I would like to know, if I use alstar.co.yu as the domain and that's registered somewhere, then it shouldn't be spam right ? ( I mean a few incidents might happen on certain sites ), what do you think about this ?

That remote sendmail, postfix etc... checks back if alstar.co.yu is a valid domain , and that's all right?

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
It isn't the domain name that they use use, it is the actual external IP addess that you have, that is being looked at.

When you connect to a mail server, your actual IP address is given to that server. If that IP has been used for Spam in the past (or, in some cases, if it is in a certian network), then it will be blocked by some of these services.

If you don't spam now (or don't have an open relay, see ordb.org to test) at that IP address on port 25, then they (the list you are on) should have a procedure to fix it.

if the address won't come off the list, one thing you can do is set up all your mail to use another server that works (like your ISP's e-mail server or the main alstar.co.yu mail server) to send all your mail as a relayhost in postfix ...

put:

relayhost = name_of_ISP's_server[/b]

or

relayhost = name_of_ alstar.co.yu_mail_server

inside your /etc/postfix/main.cf to send all mail out that server.
Robert83
Hi,

if I change that relayhost , would that mean that my local mail would also be sent there ?

I mean if one of my local users sends mail to another local user, then it would go down to Belgrade and come back from there?

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
No ... local mail should stay local.
Termina
relayhost = name_of_ISP's_server

(Bet you wish you hadn't put up that guide now, eh? *cackles*)

By this, do you mean my ISPs SMTP server? (Which I could use to save myself bandwith, and whatnot?)
hughesjr
Well the problem is that some site block dynamic ip ranges ... so if the ISP allows relaying of mail, it will always be delivered.

I was having a problem with AOL bouncing my outgoing mail until I shifted to my ISP's server. If you have a static IP from a DSL provider (or static cable business account) then that wouldn't be required.

Transfers of large attachments will be better ... since your connection to your ISP is usually faster than to other places...
Termina
Ah, ok. =)

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.