Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Startup Screen
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jrbishop79
I'm using RH 7.3 and when I boot Linux I cannot see the screen that says "mounting this and satrting up that". I do get to a login screen and everything works fine, but I can't see the screens at startup. Any ideas?
chrisw
do you boot up straight to the graphical environment?
if so i think you wont see all that during boot up

if not ...something is seriously wrong
jrbishop79
I do boot into X, but the thing is I used to see those screens, and I can see those screens during shutdown/reboot. and reinstalling doesn't help., I even put in a new hard drive and that didn't do anything.
chrisw
did you see those things before when you were booting straight into X, then it suddenly stopped showing up?
jrbishop79
yeah... actually it started happening after my power supply blew up. I came home from school one day and found that my computer wouldn't turn on. I bought a new power supply and found that those "ok" screens were no longer visible.
chrisw
ummm...wow
have to think on that one
jrbishop79
well, it is something that I can live with, provided I never have to boot into runlevel 3 or something like that.
chrisw
just for what its worth...
change the run level to 3 and see if you all the stuff shows up
jrbishop79
well, I'm sort of wary about doing that... the last time I tried, I couldn't see anything, and the only way I could get back to the GUI was to reinstall Linux. If theres a way around that, then I'll try it.
chrisw
you should be able to see something....least when it gets done booting
you would see a login prompt that way you can log in....

you can change the run level in the /etc/inittab file
change the 3 back to a 5 and then you would
be able to boot back to graphical
jrbishop79
I tried that, and I saw nothing... no login screen, nothing. I logged in blindly (whew) and ran startx and here I am.
chrisw
have you tried re-installing....i know...i hate mentioning it...to see what happens?
jrbishop79
I tried reinstalling it after it first happened, and that didn't work. I got a new hard drive for Chrsitmas and installed it on that hard drive only to find out that it wasn't the hard drive. Now I'm just wondering if it isn't a BIOS thing
Corey
Well, if you're just testing a different runlevel, then there really isn't a need to edit your /etc/inittab.

Anyways, have you checked the output of dmesg (/var/log/dmesg) to see if all the boot information was logged? As well, try switching to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), loggin in as root, and typing 'init 1', after it switches to runlevel 1, try switching to runlevel 3 with "init 3" and see if you see output on the screen. Redhat may have some screwy option somewhere to turn off the output on booting, I really don't know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.