Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem With Nforce2 Audio
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Termina
Reinstalled Slackware recently, and decided to with fluxbox as my windows manager. (I fell in love with it while using DamnSmallLinux) happy.gif

I downloaded the tar.gz nforce2 driver(s), but after make && make install, when I try to modprobe nvaudio, I get this error:

bash-2.05b# modprobe nvaudio
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: init_modules: NO such device
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: HInt: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect modules parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: ismod /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: ismod nvaudio failed

I have no idea what's up... worked while I used Gnome. O_o

I also cannot seem to copy text in terminals. happy.gif

Output of lsmod (only modules, please tell me if you need more... I Have to type this out manually biggrin.gif):
ntfs
snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss
usb-ohci
ehci-hcd
usbcore
snd-intel8x0
snd-pcm
snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec
snd-page-alloc
snd-mpu401-uart
snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device
snd
soundcore
tulip
crc32
pcmcia_core
ide-scsi
agpgart

Seems like alot of sound modules are loaded... O_o Perhaps I have to unload them (somehow?)
Termina
*blushes*

I figured it out. XD

I just 'modprobe -r module' anything that seemed to be an audio thing (except for the ac97-codec, and any that were 'busy'). Then modprobe nvaudio worked!

If anyone cares, perhaps this could go to tips/tricks? If that's not appropriate, I'll delete this post.
Corey
A used to use my nforce audio that came with my nforce motherboard. Often I found myself moving between the nvaudio.o module and the i810_audio.o module. However, often times, as you have noticed, sound gets locked, etc.

I have learned a few tricks in dealing with these issues.

$ fuser -k /dev/dsp
$ fuser -k /dev/mixer

^- This kills all applications using the dsp and mixer devices

$ rmmod -r i810_audio (or nvaudio)

^- This removes the listed module as well as other related modules (such as soundcore and ac97_codec)

By far the most useful command i've learned in linux over the last year was the 'fuser' command. It has so many uses smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.