Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake 10 Boot
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Nashy
I've just installed Mandrakelinux as I was told it was the best for a beginner like myself, and I like the sound of it.

When I get past Lilo to boot Mandrake, the loading screen comes up, and stalls in one spot, so I hit escape, and the following is on the screen.

CODE
/etc/init.d/mandrake_everything : Line 63 : /var/log/dmesg : :Read Only File System

INIT: Entering Run Level 5
/etc/rc.d/rc : Line 78: /var/run/runlevel.dir : Read Only File System

Checking for new Hardware                [FAILED]
Starting System Logger:

What has happened, its really annoying, all I want to do is get it running so I can play around with it. Any help would be excellent.

huh.gif
Hemant
Well..login in to single user mode and try to change the permissions on the those file systems....
Nashy
I don't know ANYTHING about linux. I don't get to a login screen or anything like that.
Nashy
Anyone....?
Hemant
When Lilo boot prompt comes...edit the boot parameter and put linux single there.

This will take you to the single user mode...In this mode All those services won't be started so you can at least boot !!

Now once you got this command prompt...we would like see to contents of your file.../etc/fstab.

Actually this file dectates which file systems are going to be only readable and which are going to be R/W.

THough your problem is very strange..we will have to make sure that all the partitions are at least R/W for root.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.