Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modems Ahhhh!
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
gaviidae
This probably goes to Robert...
I read the modem posts here... I'm a Linux newbie who's reading every Idiots and Dummies Linux books (some of them are very good) --Oreillys are waaay beyond me now :) But I must go to work to get online, so all these downloadable modem softwares are out of reach. I have a Gateway laptop (another problem, no serial ports) with an AMIBIT Microsystems Winmodem (even if someone were to write a driver for this, I cannot download at work, forbidden), so I intend to buy an external modem that I can maybe use. What would anyone recommend? I have 2 USB ports so I'm leaning that way. Cable not available here. (The companies all say they don't support UNIX...what?!?) Note I bought a few modems, returned them because they only only only work with windows, can I try one that can deal with Mac OS since that's kinda UNIXy?
Now by newbie I mean I can turn a computer on, off, and check email :) I'm willing to try to write a driver (!) if I can print out instructions somewhere (again catch22 I can't download sans modem! so I would have to print). I have multiple Linux distros as I am still learning stuff; I have Mandrakes 9.2 and 10, Fedora Core, and a bootable Knoppix 3.3 that can't find my printer :)
Note I have a geek friend trying to help me, but so far no such luck.
Thx even if I get shouted off this site, I'm stuck!!!
Robert83
Hi

Please read this :

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

This should give you enough info about what modem NOT to buy , and once you have bought a good modem [hardware modem] , then you can install it via this howto, I think this should be good enough for you to begin from.

I'm sorry that I can't give you more specific information, but I have cable modem here because the telephone lines are so slow that it takes 1hr to download 1MB, so I'm stuck with cable here, and I don't have any expirience with regular modems, but as I said it before this howto should solve your problem.

Sincerely
Robert B
gaviidae
It's me again... I did fix my problem. Living where computer stores suck, I never did find a working external USB modem that I could actually buy (in person). Having a laptop was really getting in the way. Then I found in a Linux book www.linux_laptops.net It's great.
I bought a Zone PCMCIA card and crossed my fingers. Mandrake 9.2, 10 and Fedora all seems to work with it (I haven't tried the Knoppix yet). I guess anyone with a laptop who is a computer and linux newbie can try this... my geek friend and no-one else thought of using a PC card. It was cheap too, $35 and I could get it in my small town! Woohoo! Now I can look at online Linux info and tutorials and download stuff.
(I'm so happy that I'm wagging my tail!) The Linux modem HOWTO page was helpful in that it gave me enough info to know how not to waste my time and money on nonworking Winblowsloving modems :)
--gaviidae
hughesjr
I'm glad it worked for you.

I don't know of any cable or DSL places that say they support linux. But the vast majority of them use linux for e-mail servers.
------------------------------------------
Basically, if you have cable available in your area and want to get it, do this:

buy a cheap CABLE/DSL router ... (maybe even a wireless one since you have a laptop)...

Bring in a windows machine to your house (or dual boot to windows) ... long enough for the cable guy to hookup the router and the PC ...

Then boot into linux while connected to your router (After the cable guy leaves ... unless you want to get the: urr....umh...we don't support UNIX speech smile.gif )

There is nothing wrong with using linux ... most of the people working at the cable company just don't know how to run linux, so they don't provide any technical support.
gaviidae
Hughes,
I couldn't believe that a big cable co doesn't really support UNIX, unless it services no businesses. But it was funny listening to the Valley-Girl phone answerer saying "Um.. like, I don't think we support that, um, Linnie thing. Have a nice day!"
:)
gaviidae
bigpaws
I use a Xircom pcmcia modem for my laptop runs great. As for the DSL and Cable connections. These companies usually run some form of -nix for the servers. The help desk folks are usually reading the cards they are given. It is pretty sad that they still will not see -nix as an alternative.
NeilE
The Netcomm Roadster 11 (2) USB External, will work, but it isn't very fast and it will take some settingup.
Google has all the answers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.