CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8X-X
RAM: 512 DDR RAM
Video: GeForce2 MX 64 MB
NIC: 3Com 3c509 Ethernet Card
Hard Drive: 80 GB 7200 RPM ATA-100
Case: Lian-Li PC-5

I installed Red Hat 9.0 on it...

I use a Netgear Wireless Router that is connected to a Cable Modem. I connect to the same wireless router on another box running WinXP. I use the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor using a KVM (USB). Everthing seems to work fine except that I can't seem to connect to the Internet. When I attempted to setup eth1 with DHCP (being it enabled), I get this error message at startup:

3c509 device does not seem to be present, delaying eth0
initialization" (same for eth1).

What I want to do is run a dedicated server for CVS, Apache, and JBoss... Although, I don't ask how to set up JBoss or Apache, I want to install be able to use my WinXP box (running CYGWIN) and ssh into my Linux box (which is connected to my wireless router).

My Red Hat distro doesn't seem to be picking up the particular eth cards so I can I fix this? How can I download / install 3Com NIC drivers onto Linux if it is not even connected to the Internet?

Many, many thanks!

Unnsse M. Khan
hughesjr
Rather than RedHat 9, would you consider Fedora Core 1 or Fedora Core 2 ... both have much better hardware detection for newer hardware....

Is it a Wireless or a Wired Card?

Your board has a built in Realtek 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PHY ... which is not a 3com card...
untz
Mr. Hughes,

You are right, there's a built-in card, and I bought a separate PCMCIA NIC card for $10. I don't have any wireless NIC cards hooked up Linux box. I am trying to configure a dedicated server and in the Red Hat install, I specifically picked Server. I just can't seem to be able to enable any of my eth devices.

Is there any way you can help me? Do you know of any commands (used in the command line) in which I can fix this up? Also, are there any conf files that you need information on?

I really am excited and want to get this dedicated server situated...

Kindest regards,

Unnsse

P.S. Can you provide a URL for the Fedora ISOs? Should I buy another NIC Card?

Cable Modem ---> Wireless Router
| |
| |
WinXP Linux (Red Hat 9.0)

Despite the fact that I use a wireless router, I am using network cables to connect to this router (for both PCs). When I used to have a dual boot system (I posted a lot of questions for it on this forum smile.gif) I was able to set up Red Hat 9.0 really easy and was able to get on the Internet with no problem.

Should I use the second eth card to hook up to my WinXP box?

Many, many thanks,

Unnsse
untz
the | |
| |

in the previous diagram are supposed to be underneath the router not the cable modem..... I was unable to use tabs and the spaces returned it as this:

| |
| | but it placed them underneath the cable modem...
untz
Can anyone help me with this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.