Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fedora Core 2 Released
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
lesio1974
So Core 2 is available and all the download mirrors seem to be swamped with people getting their ISOs. "Too many connected users, try again later" is most common message.

I am really eager to check it out. Hardware support will be improved so all the pieces are utilized more efficiently and cause less trouble for new users. New KDE seems to be getting a lot of praises from the reviewers. All in all, it seems to be a release that will attract a lot of new users. See, there are a lot of people out there not interested in the systems innards, they just want to sit down at their PCs and start surfing, e-mailing, chatting, burning CDs and DVDs with least amount of hassle. Hopefully, Fedora Core 2 (and Linux in general) is going towards that goal, of being simple to configure and use for an ordinary people and at the same offering robust and secure platform for software developers, network and web admins.

Just my 2 cents.

G
Joey
I'm in the process of downloading the ISO's right now. Getting a pretty good speed from the mirror. ISO 4 and 5 are completed and 1,2,3 are 80% done.

Here are the MD5sums:

FC2-i386-disc1.iso (md5sum: c366d585853768283dac6cdcefcd3a2d)
FC2-i386-disc2.iso (md5sum: fc3c926442cc85a469268651bd04c186)
FC2-i386-disc3.iso (md5sum: 5ad870e696953f4bbd0a91936873890e)
FC2-i386-disc4.iso (md5sum: c736f8048b12315b5c0b070de1d74867)

A list of mirrors can be found at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

Torrent info - http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/

The release notes haven't been updated yet but they should be located at http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ when they are.
andy1974
Yea i dl the test and it looked GREAT. so i will upgrade this week as well , and YEP mirror jamed packed, which is good. Linux making great headway. X looks to be more user friendly for NEWBIES biggrin.gif Which i still concider myself, but learning stuff every day.Everyone on the forum has been so kind and helpfull to me, i get fustrated easily and would have scraped my "LINUX PROJECT" if it wasnt for all the help i get.
Joey
I was getting really good speeds from ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/core/

It took about 4-5 hours to download the 4 ISOs and the rescue CD ISO.
lesio1974
yeah, downoloaded 2 ISOs last night at work from the mirror that Joey mentions above; tonight 2 more and over the weekend I'll switch;

anyone has it installed and willing to give us a first look?
Joey
I'll be installing it on the server sometime tomorrow. However there will not be any screen shots since I will not be installing X. I'll let you know how the install goes though.
hughesjr
I really didn't have many problems with my install of FC2Test3.

I downloaded the binary ISOs via bittorrent last night and averaged 535mb/sec download speeds ... it tooks slightly less than 2 hours to download all the isos ... but I haven't burned them yet.

Maybe tonight....
andy1974
biggrin.gif I upgraded last night without a hitch upgrade went smooth with no existing data loss. nice job
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.