Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
nightwalker
Hi,

I've got a couple of problems

1) installing things: "You can install [X] by running [X] and typing [X] blabla"
...sigh
Don't get it. Where should I type all of that?

2) I've got a USB MP3-man, but I can't access it? I can't find it using Hardware browser but can't browse it or anything

3) Ever since I installed Linux my computer only finds 16 instead of 128 MB RAM

*ADDS* 4) what protocol should I use with gaim if I want to access my MSN?? It only says AIM/ICQ and TOC
Termina
1) I don't understand what you mean. Are you referring to what others tell you to get/type? If so, then just use the commands they give you. You can get packages from places like: http://sourceforge.net/
http://freshmeat.net/

2) To access your MP3 player (USB), try this:

mkdir /mnt/USB
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB (if sda1 doesn't work, try diffrent numbers after sda)

Then you can "cd /mnt/USB" and copy/move/delete things to and from it.

3) I don't understand what you mean by this either. Where does it say 16mb of ram? During the POST? Perhaps you're seeing your video cards memory, and not your systems memory. Ram is not OS specific (atleast I don't think so biggrin.gif), so if it worked with Windows, it'll work with linux. Could you please be more specific?

4) You (probally) need a new version of gaim, as well as SSL to use MSN.
Jim
I think what you mean by people are telling you to type things, is things like mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb and what not. Commands like those go in a terminal or command line. You didn't indicate what version of linux you are using but all of them should have a terminal short cut in the quick menu. Just look for Terminal, or shell, or konqueror, or xterm, or eterm or nxvt or any of those you will find one some where. Than you can start typing in commands.

As far as I know, GAIM is only an AIM client so you wont be able to use it with MSN, there are other MSN clients out there though. Just hit up google, you will find them.

As for the usb MP3-man, I don't have an answer, try searching google and seeing if anyone else has gotten theirs to work. Linux doesn't usually include support for thirdparty stuff in an effort to keep the OS from getting bloated, but support can always be added later as long as someone has developed the drivers for it.
Termina
Most USB storage devices (including MP3 players) don't require drivers. smile.gif
nightwalker
QUOTE (Termina @ May 18 2004, 02:38 PM)
1) I don't understand what you mean.  Are you referring to what others tell you to get/type?  If so, then just use the commands they give you.  You can get packages from places like: http://sourceforge.net/
http://freshmeat.net/

2) To access your MP3 player (USB), try this:

mkdir /mnt/USB
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB  (if sda1 doesn't work, try diffrent numbers after sda)

Then you can "cd /mnt/USB" and copy/move/delete things to and from it.

3) I don't understand what you mean by this either. Where does it say 16mb of ram? During the POST?  Perhaps you're seeing your video cards memory, and not your systems memory. Ram is not OS specific (atleast I don't think so biggrin.gif), so if it worked with Windows, it'll work with linux. Could you please be more specific?

4) You (probally) need a new version of gaim, as well as SSL to use MSN.

1) I didn't know I had *where* to write them, I do now.

2) Tried it, doesn't work dry.gif

3) It says so during startup, also if I run them minigames that came with my Red Hat 8.0 (e.g. Chromium, Freeciv, Tux racer) it runs reaaaally slow, so I guess that's not normal

4) Where do I update?

*ADDS* Found the update, but if I try to install, he can't find 'gtkspell' and 'libgtkspell.so.0'
Termina
2) Did you try other things besides SDA1? (For example, sda2, sda3, etc.?)

3) If it said this during setup, then it's your video memory. smile.gif

4) gtkspell - Search google.com/linux for this, or on freshmeat.net/sourceforge.net
lesio1974
yep, you have a video card with 16 MB of RAM; and the games run slow because you do not have 3D acceleration enabled; your Linux is using a generic driver that does not speed up games, this has nothing to do with the RAM in the PC;

G
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.