Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble Connecting To Internet
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Nevets
I have installed Fedora Project Core I, and managed to get everything working except for my internet connection. So while pretty, the computer can't be used for much.
I connect directly to an ADSL connection that uses PPPoE. I run the Internet Connection Wizard that came with the distro, and that seems to work alright. So I activate the xDSL connection and it seems to succeed. But when I try to use an internet program, it says it can't connect, or can't find web page, etc. A note, I can't activate my eth0.
I went to the help guides here, and it says to make sure my ISP username and password are listed correctly under resolve.conf I go look at the file using gedit and there is nothing, it's just blank. So I typed "username" * "password* (forget where I read to do this), but that doesn't help.
If anyone has any useful tips I would be very grateful. This is my first Linux machine and I'm kind of anxious to get started.
Nevets
Can anyone help me with this please?
I've had the computer for over a month now and still can't use the internet.
satanicsurfers
Hello, I was in the same situation...

For now, I installed a cable/dsl router which will deal with my PPPoE configuration.
satanicsurfers
I founded these link...
www.isi.edu/~weiye/system/guide/dsl.html
http://www.trustonme.net/didactels/?rub=101
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Net-HOWTO/x954.shtml

The second one is in french but it says that you have to load the driver your Ethernet Adapter before activate it. Activate mean gives an IP to it.

1 : Is Eth0 present ? Probably not...
>>/sbin/ifconfig

2 : Find your card
>>/sbin/lspci

3 : List the drivers and select the good one for you.
>>ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/

4 : Load your driver (In my case it is a Tulip based driver (D-Link DE-530+ PCI Ethernet Adapter))
/sbin/modprobe 2104x.ko

Now it depend if you have a router or not. For me it works with a router. Read the first link, it explains both solutions.

Bye
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.