Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Network Question
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Robert83
Hi,

Is it good to have a hybrid network like this :

Linux Computer (using rdesktop) connects to Win2000 Terminal Server connects to novell client, how does this affect speed?

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
The terminal server is actually doing the work, and sending screen paint info to the rdc client. The RDC connection should not use a signifigant amount of bandwidth (unless printing to a local printer or coping a file to the local computer) ... so the only major slowdown should be the Terminal Server connection to the Novell Client.
Robert83
Hi,

Well I was only asking because someone told me that that is a major problem (was laughing at me) , that I'm using a Linux computer to a win2000 terminal server (connection type one), and I'm using a win2000 terminal server to connect to a novell file server (connection type two). And that these 2 seperate connection types are slowing down the network and it's a miracle that it's working at all. Is this really like this? (I'm printing from the terminal server to the local linux computers, but that aint so bad, the real problem is that it was ok for 1 month than, they started building something and since then it's slower)

And one more thing, is it true that a 10mbit network in the 100mbit network does not affect the 100mbit network at all?, even if I change the 10mbit network cards to 100mbit network cards it won't show any perfomance upgrade?

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
I personally wouldn't use a Novell file server ... but it isn't significantly slower.

If you are going to use a Windows Terminal Server solution, a linux RDC client is not any slower than a Windows RDC client.

As I said in my original post, the only info transfer back to the RDC client is screen paint information ... except when transferring a file to save on the local hard drive or printing a file to the local printer.

Using a Terminal Sever solution can greatly reduce the bandwidth requirements to the clients ... I run a remote site via a T-1 line that connects to a Citrix terminal server at another location ... and runs programs at the Citrix location. The Citrix server and the database server are tied together with a gigabyte ethernet line and I have 80 users connected most of the time. Everything works as fast as at the local site except printing and file transfers.

---------------------
If you have 100mb NIC, it is faster than a 10mb NIC ... but, if the network switches/hubs are maxed out, adding a 100mb nic to a computer may not increase it's network thoughput.

Also adding a 100mb NIC requires that all cables be CAT 5 and not CAT 3 to get any speed increase.

If you have a simple hub (with 100mb/sec throughput) and 10 computers ... all the computers will share 100mb/sec throughput between them ... buying a network switch that has more than 100mb throughput (maybe it has 1gb/sec throughput), will allow more NICs to max out at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.