Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lilo And Multiple Linux Distributions
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jkirby65
Hello,

I am just starting in linux. I have sucessfully installed Redhat and Debian, but thought it would be fun to install them both at the same time, plus one or two more distributions. However, I am a little confused by bootloaders (a lot confused). Here is what I have done:

I have two drives, both with two partitions (one swap, one ext3). Redhat 9 is running fine on hda1 being booted by LILO, which is installed on the MBR of hda. I installed Debian on hdb1, requesting that Lilo be installed in the MBR of hdb (maybe I should not have installed a second Lilo?). I thought I would just modify the lilo.conf file on hda1 to include Debian. But, I can't figure out what to include. How do I tell Lilo to boot Debian off of hdb? Here is what the LILO.conf on hda that boots Redhat looks like--- any help is greatly appreciated!

prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
read-only
append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"
Jim
You have to do a whats called a chainload. You don't actually boot debian from the first lilo, you boot another lilo. You need to have a copy of lilo installed on the MBR of hdb and than use a command like this to bring up your second lilo which will than boot your debian.

CODE
other=/dev/hdb1
       lable="Lilo hdb"
       table=/dev/hdb

So in order for that to work there has to be another copy of lilo of the MBR of hdb and than from there you can boot the images.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.